Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Protection?

Re: Fire Protection?

Sorry for the lag in response - no computer set up at the house yet [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    You guys are terrific - what a great place to get help. I had considered adding a transfer switch at the well to power the well in case of house current failure. I will also be installing a 10 circuit transfer switch at the house panel itself, but that is for general power failure to the house.
    I realize that the well pump supply would be marginal and I agree that a large tank with gas or diesel pump would be the best bet. Now I have to figure out where a good source for that 500-1000 gal tank would be.
    In the meantime, I will still go ahead and install a fitting for a 1" hose at the well outlet itself to avoid going through the house plumbing as a stop-gap measure until I get a proper fire system in place.
    Question on hose length - I read the comments about the hose diameter, but was thinking that the 1 3/4" hose diameter would be better considering that I would need about 150' of hose to get to (and around) all structures. You are also right that the intent is to not run into any smoke filled buildings to fight a fire - only to hopefully eliminate any early fires or to hose down building exteriors and/or adjacent structures.
    Sort of too late for a sprinkler system in the house as it's already finished, but I could install a very simple system in the shop building at least.
    Thanks again for your help - your comments and experience are sure appreciated.
    PS - forgot to add that this is a single story, ranch style home. No more stair climbing for us [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Nick

Thanks for the information. This is something that I had not given that much thought to, but will now include it in my plans for property.

As a firefighter and working for an insurance company as loss prevention consultant here are a few things to consider.

1. Smoke detection system in living areas using BOTH photoelectric and ionization type of detection. Both have advantages and disadvantages, using both you cover most fire conditions and have early notification of the fire to get out. HomeDepot does sell smoke detectors with both types built into one unit. An off site monitoring system will get the FD to your place faster, something to consider. Also add at least one CO detector.
    2. Make sure your insurance policy is 100% replacement cost for the building and contents, remember you can always rebuild, key is getting out early in a fire. If you have kids, make a plan for fire, where to meet, how to get out if the stairs are blocked, etc.
    3. Considered installing automatic residential sprinkler system, here is a great link. web page They have a proven track record and you can not get better protection from a life and property point of view. All you need is a 275 gallon or less tank. Some insurance companies will give you a credit on your policy to off set the cost, but pay back can take a long time. Disadvantage is running pipe, however special plastic pie is available and the sprinkler heads can be mounted on the sidewall instead of the ceiling. Oh yea I think sparklers are a beautiful thing and I do not consider then ugly.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We have number 1 and 2 covered (I just installed that CO2 detector) and I will take a look at that web site for the sprinklers.

One other thing that I also so is that I do not store gasoline, diesel, solvents, etc . inside of our shop building. They are in a separate outside enclosure. I have installed battery disconnects on any vehicles, tractors, etc. that are parked inside too. The disconnects are accessible without having to go to a lot of trouble and avoids the possibility of any electrical shorts causing trouble. Maybe overkill, but I think it's worth it. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Nick

Corrected web link for sprinkler site: web page

I always use preview feature, and always test the link.
    ...Don

Have you got an online place where you buy parts and pieces?