Thread: Spring Tease in PA

Spring Tease in PA

60 degrees on Saturday and spring is trying to break out around here. The two-foot snow of a couple of weeks back has started to disappear where the sun can get to it. But it's back to the 'teens again today so I thought I'd share some shots of this spring tease.

Cat Tails still frozen in the pond but the fields are starting to thaw.

Re: Spring Tease in PA

The woods haven't escaped winter yet, though.

My wife called this the "Grapes of Wrath" shot. 1850-era log cabin - soon to be removed and rebuilt by a local historical society a few miles from here as part of an educational / local history display.

I like that cabin. That is a nice picture.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Hate to see the old cabin go but at least it will be part of a good local display - the centerpiece is an 18th-century water-powered mill supposedly built by G. Washington himself.

<font color="brown"> Perryopolis Area Heritage Society </font color>

Tim

I too, hate to see the old buildings go. But I think it is better that they go someplace and be displayed than rot into the ground, or be made into a display that winds up changing the neighborhood they are located in. If they handle it the way folks around here have, you'll have a nice historical (if sanitized) "Village" to poke around in. Sometimes those can be a lot of fun.

Steve

Hey timb those are some nice pics What type of digicam do you use? I just got a fuji s602 and I like it alot. Just curious what other people use for their picture taking. Jray [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Just Wishing

jray,

That's just a basic point-and-shoot Olympus D460Z. (1.3 megapixel). Bought it to replace my wife's old 35mm Olympus Stylus - very similar form factor so it was a simple conversion for her. Most of those shots were then further "tweaked" a tad using Paint Shop Pro to compensate for exposure or contrast levels.

I still haven't parted with my system bag of 35mm SLR stuff (actually also all Oly - the old OM series) for a "serious" digicam. I'm sure I will eventually. IMHO digi has great potential and the technology is making great strides, but still has a long way to go to provide the image quality I'm used to with even "little" 35mm fine-grain "chemical" film. Certainly not at a price mortals can afford. They're getting there though, bit by bit (bad pun intended). [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I like the shot of the old building too. I'm glad it will be given the attention it deserves. Too many barns and old buildings are constantly torn down and scrapped to make way for newer ugly houses, etc.

BTW, I'm in SW PA too. Working on restoring an 1877 farmhouse and barn outside of Tarentum (NE of Pgh)...

- Gerald