Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice

Re: Ice

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I love that forecast, Steve. That's as bad as ours. Early this morning, the forecast was for a 20% chance of rain, but with the thunder, lightning, and steady rain about 6:30 a.m., they increased the forecast to 70% chance. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And tomorrow the forecast is for a 20% chance of scattered thunderstorms until late afternoon when "scattered" changes to all the area. My tee time is 11:37 a.m., but the last group in our little tournament doesn't tee off until 12:48 p.m. so I'm wondering how late "late" is. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] At least the temperature will almost undoubtedly be in the upper 70s. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Be careful, Bird. Lots of people get zapped on the Golf Course. They warn us every spring that you can get zapped even if it's not raining and you don't hear any thunder. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Steve

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Be careful, Bird

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, if I think there's any chance at all of lightning, I'll be in the clubhouse. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] You know Lee Trevino supposedly once said that if lightning is a possibility you're supposed to walk down the fairway holding a one iron over your head because not even God can hit a one iron. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Personally, I don't think I'd want to try to see if he could. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

That's amazing shf! We're not that far from you and we just got rain... lots of it. All my newly sown grass seed is now in puddles along the driveway. 30 degrees now and snowing. I was supposed to be painting trim on our porch this weekend but instead I'm here whining about it on the computer. Oh well, I don't like painting that much anyway [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Rob,

I think the rain/snow dividing line was somewhere around Fremont. It's been spitting snow again all day, but I don't think we've gotten 1/2 an inch since last night.

Steve

Steve .... did your power lines survive the weather? We were offline for 3 hours on Thursday night ... and then another 5 hours on Saturday. But consider ourselves lucky since Consumers said it would likely take 24-28 hours to get us back up.
    I went out Sunday, after taking care of the horses, and took some pictures myself ... I was enamoured of the ice in the sunlight ... think I also managed to get some viable pictures of the ice crashing down off the cell tower in the backyard.
    I'll try to bring those in tomorrow and maybe I can add to your "ice collection". (and the weird icicle is back with an additional curve in it ...)

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

Pete,

Lost power here about 11:00pm Thursday night. It stayed out until around 2:00 am (I guess), so that was about 3 hours. Everything thing was fine the rest of the weekend, power flashed a lot, but stayed on. That was a pretty good ice storm, but it could have been worse.

Have you figured out what is causing your icicle? This may call for a government study. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

glad things went that well for you, Steve ... I guess it could have been a lot worse ... a lot of folks didn't get power back for over four days ... and at these temperatures ...

I think I should definitely put in a funding request on my icicle ... the wind patterns must be unusual and could use a microclimate study [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

here's what Sunday morning looked like ... before the ice started to recede a bit ...

pete

... and here's a "lucky I was ready" shot ... the lower "white line" is a 20+ foot long chunk of ice/frozen sleet that dropped from one of the cell tower guy lines.

pete

... one last shot .... love the look of ice on a tree, even if I don't want to be close when those linbs come down ...

pete