Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ICFs and Concrete

ICFs and Concrete

Thursday we finally got to pump concrete into the ICFs for the new place. 48 Cubic Yards just for the walls. And one of the concrete trucks blew a hydraulic hose and couldn't deliver until the mechanic came out and made a new hose. Here's a shot of the last of the concrete being pumped. Now it's time for plumbing rough ins.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Re: ICFs and Concrete

if that is a new home, looks awful huge to me.. makes me want to be jealous

Wide angle lens! Actually it's about three times the size of what we've been living in for 30 years. We don't plan on moving from the new place until it's time to "go underground"!
    Gary

so this will be underground or major portion underground? I am trying hard to convince the ladies living here to buy 5 3/4 inch cedar log siding and re-side this house. We need insulation and something has to be done for the thirty eight year old shingles. I'm not winning yet.

The design is a ranch with a finished basement. OK, I call it a lower level because it's above ground and has windows on three sides. Only the EAST side (front) is below grade. The other three sides look like a two story. Does that make any sense?

All the exterior walls are SIPs that will be covered with Certainteed Weather Boards. These are a cement siding similar to Hardi-Board, but with a factory applied finish.

So your idea is to apply the cedar logs to an existing frame construction? I've not heard of that before. Have you ever seen it done. Depending on the design I can see where it might look good.
    Gary

It has been done quite frequently here in the northeast. And yes, it looks awesome with major insulation value thrown in. Of course, this depends on type, thickness, etc.. Look for yourself at
    www.mvloghomes.com/siding this should give you a good idea how a home re-done can look

That's quite interesting! I had never seen it before. I imagine that all your existing siding, such as clapboards, would be removed. Maybe some of the log homes I've driven by have not been the "real thing". You'd get the log home appearance and a lot of the thermal mass without all the associated settling and other issues that can affect solid log homes.
    Gary

You've got it!
    The look of log, no settling, good mass to help insulation factor. Not cheap either. Pricing our home, delivered to the door, $38,000.00 However, to re-do each cut shingle by hand, would cost the same.. I would remove the shingles and install 1/2 heavy styrofoam panel, then install the log halves. Would help here in northeast tremendously.

I like to watch Home Time and they recently built a "Lodge Style Log Home". It was beautiful when done, but they never mention the cost on any of their shows. Had to have been in the 700K-900K if not more. And all the allowance for settling. Slip joints and loops in the plumbing. And interior walls with sliding joints. Too much trouble! I like your plan better.
    Gary

Gary
    Just who is the manufacturer of the ICF panels shown in your picture? I too have been looking at IDF's but at blocks instead of the panels. I am sure with much of your home underground the panels are probably stronger for the initial pore.

Randy