Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ICFs and Concrete

Re: ICFs and Concrete

Wife and I been studying log homes for at least 20 years. Always something to question or worry about. In the Home time series (we have bothlog projects on video tape), Maple Island, who designed and cut/stacked the logs, tell you up front, costs times four.. That lodge kit was 180, making that home 720.. Siding is much better for me and our needs.

Gary
    I just noticed St Loius MO.. We visit and old friend there lives just off exit 217, hwy K, in O'Fallon

lamarbur, the building site is 7 Mi SW of Warrenton MO. Warrenton is the 193 MM on I-70. My brother in law lives in O'Fallon MO, just off Bryan Rd. Bryan Rd. is one exit West of Hiway K. We currently live in Florissant, which is in North St. Louis County.

Next time in the area, email me and we can meet.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

RJohnson, The ICFs are Arxx blocks. Each unit is approx 16" high by 48" long. They are stacked with a running bond. Each block holds .11 CY of concrete, so it's easy to calculate how much you need.

Only yhe East wall is underground. The other three walls are above grade.

I have a website with many photos as well as links to the various products we are using at http://www.w0gom.net
    Gary

Gary
    I was off one road. Bryan Road is the exit I take, turn south, go 1/2 mile or so and turn left on another major road. I take the first right off this and he is at the bottom of this road in a fairly new housing developement. Bob Heidenreich is my friends name, who I go to visit..

quite the web page and photo's. :I have to do some backhoe work, but, later on will chavck the other various hyperlinks you have listed on the right side

The major road you describe is probably Mexico Road. Don't know the area that well so's to be able to name the next road you turn onto though. When you pass the Casey's gas and convenience store on your left. That's the development my BIL lives in, Turtle Creek. His lot's about 30 feet wider than his house and about 70 feet deeper. Nice house, but I can no longer take being that close to the neighbors. My place in Warrenton is only 5 acres and I'm wishing I had bought the next lot North for a total of 10 acres.
    Gary

sounds just like where my friend is. 40 ft or so wider than home and I know he hasn't another 40 behind him. There is like 10 or so homes in a semi circle that all share their 40 ft back yards. Combined, it makes it look impressive I guess. We have or I should say wife and I just sold our house and at the moment are w/ mother in law on 28 acres. I'd love to buy this or similar. Too, too much cost per acre here.

Gary,

I'm looking at doing something with ICF's for the basement and structural insulated panels (SIP's) above ground. I'll be anxious to read more of your progress. I'd considered all ICF's but I guess I'm just not ready for concrete to the rafters. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The fellow who owns the concrete company built his home that way a few years back. And one of his drivers knows of another about 40 miles away. The owner of Stitt Energy Systems current home is built that way too. Can't tell any difference outside or in. Nice and quiet though. www.stittenergy.com

I wanted to use new building techniques, I guess just not that new!
    Gary