Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old corn field

Re: Old corn field

The reason I'm shying away from the farmer who had the corn in the field in the first place is because I feel he should have finished the job like every other year after harvesting the corn

If he wasn't going to farm the place again why would you expect him to get the field ready to plant for the next year? Nobody that rents ground ever does that. It's up to the person that is going to be farming the ground the next year to work the ground. Being on the other side landlords often expect way more than a farmer would even do for his own ground to rent it. It's not a privilege for a farmer to rent ground. It's his business. These small fields are a pain to do, esp. when you're only getting a couple bucks a bushel for corn. Not trying to be mean here just remember there are two sides to the farming issue.

I don't think you're being mean, Doc. Those are valid questions I'll try to answer.

If he wasn't going to farm the place again why would you expect him to get the field ready to plant for the next year?

*Just going by what my neighbor said. He told me that he couldn't believe the farmer didn't turn over the land after harvesting like he always does. This was before the previous owner had even decided she wanted to sell the land. Technically, he didn't know he wasn't going to farm the land again.

Nobody that rents ground ever does that. It's up to the person that is going to be farming the ground the next year to work the ground.

*That might explain it. Maybe he was going to let the land sit a year. He farmed it for free the last three years, so I don't think he was going to let someone else farm it.

These small fields are a pain to do, esp. when you're only getting a couple bucks a bushel for corn.

*Is that net profit? I know the farmer sells it (the corn) to local grocery stores and has roadside stands set up all over the county and sells it $2.00/half dozen ears or something along those lines. His last crop here was sweet corn. $2.00/bushel seems low unless that's net profit, which in that case, it still seems low compared to the markup. I've been curious about the costs of farming vs. the profit margin.

Not trying to be mean here just remember there are two sides to the farming issue.

*Gotcha. I may have been hasty in believing my neighbors, the old lady I bought the house from and just about everyone else I've met since moving out here about the farmer in question. Sometimes it's hard not to form an opinion on someone when so many other opinions are the same.

ANYWAY, back to my original question. After looking into disc harrows, which I still may get one for little jobs, I think I'll hire someone to get in, get the job done and get out. I'll just use my CUT to touch things up with the rake and spread the seed. That will take me long enough.

Fred, I don't know the past farmer but I do know that if I not 99% sure I am going to farm that piece the next year it goes untouched. Time, fuel and wear and tear aren't cheap. Especially in the fall, seems like it's such a busy time of the year around here. Doc is right as usual about these things.
    You may want to ask around this summer and get someone lined out for a fall planting in August or so. Usually if the farmer can plan ahead of time this would be no problem.

I have a couple of small 3pt. discs and I have found that they are better than nothing at all, but not much in the ground smoothing department. Would probably work in conjunction with your rake.
    Good luck in what ever you decide [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Patrick

I didn't have any problem finding pepole to plant what I wanted. Last fall you could have had winter wheat planted and had an open flat field by July. I have a 10 and 20 plot and will be getting hay on shares. No equipment investment other than 2 hay wagons and I have all the hay I need.