Thread: broccoli and cabbage

broccoli and cabbage

I was searching the web for information about the cold hardiness of broccoli and cabbage and found that both are able to take light freezes, down to the mid 20's or so. However, the seedlings are described as less hardy. I covered my plants with plastic cups for the last freeze and they did pretty well, so I will probably do so again for the next two nights which are supposed to go to about 30 and 28, but I was wondering if they'd be OK without the cover. Anyone have experience with this?

Chuck

Re: broccoli and cabbage

I don't know about up there in Missouri, but broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower do best if set out early down here, but a late freeze then frequently gets them if you don't cover them up. At least that was my experience with them. A couple of years I had to buy a second batch of plants to set out when I lost the first batch to cold weather. So last year, I waited just a little late to buy my plants and the nursery I use was out of broccoli. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] They said they were out because so many people set them out early, lost them to a freeze, and bought a second batch before I went to get mine, so I was too late.

Well, I'll let you know how mine fares tonight and tomorrow. We may or may not get freezes, hard or otherwise, both nights. It's snowing right now, but the temp is still about 35. I've decided to let them sink or swim on their own....I'll have no problem getting replacements if needed. Aside from the strawberries, nothing else is up and running. The onions have just peeked out, so even if they're nipped they should be OK. Gotta love Missery weather. It was in the 80's a few days ago, and I've already found two ticks.

Chuck

Our forecast is for a low of 36 tonight and then back to the high 70's by the end of the week here. And my onions always survived a freeze just fine; sometimes if the tops froze and turned black, I "pruned" them with just a pair of scissors, but don't think even that's necessary. However, I wouldn't give a nickle for your broccoli and cabbage chances. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And of course, I hope I'm wrong.