Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garden seeder

Garden seeder

I'm getting to the age where bending over to plant seeds is a real pain....in the back. If I squat down I just about need a sky hook or something to pull myself back up after a few of those deep knee bends. So, I'm thinking about getting a seeder like this one:
    web page
    What say you, oh endlessly experienced gurus?

Chuck

Re: Garden seeder

I liked mine; sold it to a cousin when I sold the farm last Fall. I went ahead when I bought it several years ago and ordered all the "optional" seed plates (can't remember exactly what the cost was, but I think it was about $20). A neighbor had one and said I could use it anytime, but I decided I wanted my own. I think you'll like it.

Thanks, Bird. BTW, my broccoli and cabbage dodged the bullet last night. It didn't get quite as cold as predicted.

Chuck

I've got that very model. Works great unless the soil has lots of clay/clods in which case you'll have to go back over the bed with a rake to cover the seeds properly. I've got about a dozen different seed plates but I've customized most of them by covering many of the holes with duct tape, they all seem to plant too close together. Don't hold too your expectations too high on the row marker attachment, I took mine off. Learn to listen for the telltale plink of the seed down the chute because it will occasionally jam some seeds and leave you wondering how long you've been "planting" without dropping seed. Highly recommended for peas, beans, and corn by the master of laziness.

Mine has worked OK for bigger seeds like corn and beans. It doesn't seem too work well when the hopper is almost empty, so I don't use it for small seed. You might want to check on e-Bay for one. They usually sell for ~1/2 the price of a new one.

Chuck, glad to hear it didn't get too cold there; 35 here this morning, but clear, sunny and warming up nicely. As LazyJ Arabians said, the row marker might be OK if you're planting rows close together, but I never used mine; just kept it tied up out of the way with a zip tie because I planted all my rows 48" to 60" apart. So I drove stakes in the ground at each end of the rows, strung a string, and then just followed the string when I was planting. And while it planted seed too close together for him, I went the other way. For most things it was about right, but for my green beans and black-eyed peas, I'd go down the string on one side and right back up the other side. In other words, I'd plant a double row only a couple of inches apart. They were probably a little more trouble to pick the peas and beans with them that thick, but they produced great and it was easier to keep weeds out and to hand water.

Incidentally, I bought mine at a farm supply store called Gebo's, and I know a local independent hardware store in town stocked them, and I think Tractor Supply Co. also sells them. And all I've seen were the same price as that Internet site.

They're great. I've got two. Took threaded rod and spaced them for 30" rows, now I can plant twice as fast. If you start with a smooth seed bed, the row markers do work. Keep it clean and you should'nt have any trouble.
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to all! I will check e-Bay. I found the exact same model on various sites for a low of about $64 and a high at about $100. I'd really like it for the beans and okra. I get all retentive about seed spacing, so I end up bending over and carefully placing each seed. If I had a machine to blame it would be great!

Chuck

I didn't last year but this year I think I'll save my knees and back by using the hillbilly planter, a PVC pipe with a funnel.
    After having the rows laid out just chuck the seeds into the funnel where you want them to go. $5 for a planter that can last forever.
    Not sure, but seems my dad would do this from time to time.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Bo,

I was thinking about trying that too. The seeder would be nice though, since it digs the trench and covers the seeds. I usually drag a hoe or my pick to make the trench, and even that gets me in the back after a few trips across the garden.

Another thing I'd like to see is something to plant onion sets (bulbs). Maybe a sharp stick to make the hole and then the PVC pipe to drop the bulb down!

Chuck