Thread: Bee Keeping

Hybrid View

Re: Bee Keeping

Yep, I bought a nuc. I didn't know it at the time, I just asked for bees, but I have since learned that nucs are the easiest for beginners. Unfortunately, I won't know for a while whether or not my queen is still alive.

So far, so good. I've got a hive top feeeder, and I can seen the bees coming and going through the restrictor. I understand that I can peek tomorrow to look if the bees are drawing comb, etc..

Interesting, based on your name (Gauthier) and your loss of most of your hives I figured you were from Quebec (where I am originally from). Apparently, they were invaded by resistant mites, and the new medication isn't legal there yet, so at least 50% of hives didn't make it through the winter.

Based on your comments, it sounds like I don't have any chance of getting any honey this year, or did I misunderstand? I was hoping at least for a few drops! Oh well, next year I'll order a few more bunches of bees.

Yeah I know what you mean about my last name,I guess I'm one of those french hillbillys,terrible mix. You might get some honey this year but the bees come first,they need to full deep hive boxes,[nest,honey],and than some to start the winter off.Nucs would/should be easier to start,they already have some frams started and eggs and some honey stored,I've just always ordered mine and thats how they send them and they got to start from scratch,so if its a good year in your area,you might get a super,which would be plenty for your personal use or close to it.Yeah you need to get a couple more next year,it isn't to late this year if you can get them in a few weeks,I wouldn't think.I'm going to try it one more time next year and order two more packages I think.I'm sure there are closer places for you but BRUSHY MOUNTAIN BEE FARM in north carolinia is where I have ordered most of my stuff from,they got a good catalogue,1-800-233-7929,and I've always been satisfied ordering stuff from them. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Well, I can't get another nuc, but am going to see if I can get a bunch - o - bees & a queen so I can have 2 hives.

You see, despite all the mad cow excitement (i.e. one cow in a big country with a disease that can spontaneously arise) as I understand it we haven't been allowed to by US bees for quite some time due to all the diseases in US bees. We get them eventually anyway (our bees do), but apparently we are relatively less affected since we only have Canuck bees. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Yeah it seems these mites spead south to north and now since they basicily all come from the same seed,you mite say,there resistance to the aspeian strips is spreading the same way,I live in a spot which doesn't have any commerical bee hives and very little of any hives,but it caught up with me and it will be up there to,your cold winters help slow them,no doubt.Hell the medicine to treat these mites may do more harm than good in the long run,who knows? RICHARD GAUTHIER