Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bee Keeping

Re: Bee Keeping

Yeah it seems these mites spead south to north and now since they basicily all come from the same seed,you mite say,there resistance to the aspeian strips is spreading the same way,I live in a spot which doesn't have any commerical bee hives and very little of any hives,but it caught up with me and it will be up there to,your cold winters help slow them,no doubt.Hell the medicine to treat these mites may do more harm than good in the long run,who knows? RICHARD GAUTHIER

I keep bees in northern ontario, and the best advice is DO IT!, ! talked about it for years till I finally did it, you have a lot to learn, but bee clubs are a great help, expierenced beekeepers, start with a gentle breed, like buckfast, don't neglect them, as things can get out of hand quickly.
    Question/ has anyone tried the "russian" variety? I tried two and all they brought was bad temper??

Is Bee Keeping an activity that is coming back in "fashion"? I had never heard of it before and within the past two years, I know several people who do it and our local area offers classes to homeschoolers on Bee Keeping.

We keep bees. Bought a package through the mail a couple of years ago. 10,000 bees in a cage smaller than a shoe box. It was alittle rocky at first because the hive was attacked by carpenter ants (I guess that is an uncommon occurance). We moved the hive and it has split twice so now we have 3 hives and they are huge!
    Beekeeping is like anything else, a lot to learn, a significant investment, but it's been going on for thousands of years, so how hard can it be (bee )?
    We got a couple of gallons of honey and there is more to be had. It makes a nice gift.
    Now they are passing laws that will not alow you to sell honey without a bunch of permits and inspections, so it's a loosing proposition, or in other words, a hobby.
    Coloney colapse disorder, and africanization are becoming serious threats to honey bees as of late so getting a bee hive is helping out with some of those problems as honey bees ar a critcal component to a sucessful harvest of many different types of produce.