Thread: Small chain saws

Small chain saws

Has anyone had any experience with the Echo CS 340 or the Stihl MS 180C chain saws?

My wife wants her own chain saw for small limbs and brush clean up, but doesn't need a real heavy duty one.

Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Small chain saws

I had a tree come down on the road over the winter, and as I was cutting it up my neighbor came by. He has a pretty small Stihl - not sure if it is the exact model you mention but I'll bet it is pretty close. Maybe a 12" bar? Might have even been less - it was a little guy. Worked great - I tried it out. Lots of power, and for what we were cutting it was great. I had to use my 18" saw on the trunk, but the little one was fine for all the other cuts.

Anyway, it was really cool [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. I liked it.

I bought an Echo CS 340 a couple of years ago and think it is a great saw for my uses. No problems so far, easy starter and its lightweight makes it a joy to use. I bought it for trimming and have found it powerful enough that I use it for much more than that now. I would buy another one.

MarkV

Thanks for the input. All my lawn equipment is Echo and I really like their equipment, but I keep seeing people say go Stihl for chain saws. Will probably buy the Echo.

When I bought my Stihl 025 the shop I do business with, said the Echos cs340 and smaller were better than the Stihls. Above that the Stihl's were supposedly better. I came real close to buying a CS340. You can get them on Ebay pretty cheap if you watch it closely. I could have got one for around $173.00.
    Mike

I have a Husqvarna 141 with a 16" bar. Very good, reliable saw.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Alan L. Have a Husqvarma 55 farm hand. It leaks chain oil just sitting, Its a new saw. Is this normal?

Larry
    Larry

Larry, I don't think its normal for it to leak any quantity of chain oil. Seems like I fill the oil resevoir when I fill it up with fuel. I'm sure there is some "leakage" but not enough to drain the oil tank.
    Alan L. - Texas
    North of Mustang
    South of Bugtussle
    On the Banks of Buck Creek

Yeah, thats what I thought.

Thanks,

Larry
    Larry