anytime you buy a piece of property, always get a new survey...it will show all easements and actual property lines....it will show fences, utility easements and whatnot.....how do u know where your property line actually ends without a legal survey?....the sellers may just be guessing at where their property line starts! we just bought 16 acres in texas, paid $400 to have it surveyed....started clearing the fence line on the east side, the old lady neighbor comes running out " what are you doing to my fence?". I told her that since it was my fence and on my property, i was gonna clear it from brush and take down the barb wire and put up field fencing.....she raised all sorts of a fuss and insisted that it was her fence! Seems the folks who sold her the land told her the fence was on her property instead of mine! She said that the brush was the only thing holding up the fence, and the only thing holding in the horses she was boarding.....she started ranting about how her son is a lawyer and she was gonna call him and have me stopped.....i told her that i was going to take down the fence one section at a time so it wouldnt inconvience her horse boarders, but if she wanted to get her son involved and take this to court, then the day after court when if i was proven right, i was gonna have my dozer out there and would take out the whole fence line, the heck with her horses.......i showed her son the recent survey, he talked to his mom, and we have been friendly neighbors every since....and i am still convinced that she actually thought that her properety went back about 20 feet further than it actually does!.....too bad her son didnt live here when she bought the property a few years back!