I will soon be making settlement on my new/old home. Today I had an opportunity to walk around parts of the property I hadn't seen before, namely the 14 or so acres in the back currently being farmed by a local farmer. Parts of this 14 acres lie along residential back yards, and as near as I can tell some of these neighbors have taken advantage of the situation and extended their back yards into the field. Some by just a bit, some not at all, and a couple appear to have woodpiles, sheds, and junk well over where it looks like the property line should be.
At some point I hope to take over operation of this part of the property, and with only 14 acres of tillable land (unless I'm willing to give up 1 or 2 of the small pastures) I suspect I'll want to use as much of it as I can.
So my thinking is this - If I have the property surveyed and marked now, right after I move in, people will be expecting a change anyway and might not be so upset. If I wait they'll all assume it's ok and go right on with things the way they are, then if I decide I really need those last few yards later it may become more problematic.
Also, I'm hoping that if I have it surveyed and marked now, simply installing a few well spaced posts will be a sufficient reminder rather than having to go to a complete perimeter fence. Lots of expense, maintainance, and aggravation, as well as a hinderance to the local wildlife.

I don't want to create a lot of ill will - I plan on bringing animals back onto this property (haven't been any for about a year) and these people are the parents of the kids my children will go to school with. On the other hand land isn't cheap and plentiful around here, and whats mine is mine.

Any thoughts??

Gregg