Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Encroachment - survey, fence, or.....?

Re: Encroachment - survey, fence, or.....?

There is a GPS Discussion thread in the "Related Topics" area over on TBN that talks about some pretty remarkable (to me, anyway) capabilities of fairly inexpensive (easily less than $400) GPS units.

Gregg, you say </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If I do get this plot plan, I'm hoping that it, along with some careful searching for permanent survey posts that should be present,

[/ QUOTE ].

I'm thinking that you should be able to use the plot plan or the survey map from the previous survey, plus one of those GPS units to go lay out your property lines yourself. The GPS will at least help guide you to the exact spot to look for the permanent survey posts.

Thanks for the input on survey costs. It sounds like it can vary by region and size of property to survey. Any thoughts on placing of field fencing. On the line? Inside the line? How much if inside?

MarkV

I used to work for my FIL who was a Civil Eng/Surveyor and we got involved in this stuff. Have a CE/Surveyor survey just the property line in question and also ask them to mark the corners of all the adjoining properties, in addition to the endpoints of your property.

You might also want to tell them what to tell the neighbors when whey come out to see what the 'workmen' are doing 'cuz the neighbors will come out to see what's going on. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> the neighbors will come out to see what's going on </font color>

That alone might solve some potential problems. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When the neighbors realize where the line is, they might reconsider their encroachments.

I just thought of this... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

You might want to head to the county courthouse and get copies of your deed, as well as copies of all the deeds of the adjoining properties, on the line in question. Make 2 copies and give a set to the surveyor. It'll save them time, you some money and you will be able to read through them all and make sure all the neighbors back property lines have the same direction description.

<font color="blue"> In Palo Alto, CA, about a dozen years ago </font color>

In Paly a dozen years ago, mere mortals could afford a house. My father in law just sold his fairly modest house there for an absolutely staggering sum...

We sold in July 2001 about 6 months or so after the peak. Even so, prices are still very high from what my friends tell me. Once you leave, it's very difficult to go back. Although with the crowding, etc, I can't see why. I did live there 30 years.

I had a very similar problem. I had the land surveyed and told the surveyor to flag all the areas that were encroaching on our property. There were twenty or so homes on the back line of the property and twelve had developed or put structures on my property.

After the flags were in I wrote letters to the twelve and informed them that I was going to construct a fence on the property line and they had thirty days to remove all improvements.

All but two were very cooperative. After a patient conversations, there was only one that was a problem. He just flatly refused to remove his two sheds, firewood pile, compost bins, junk pile and an old car. His response was I was unreasonable because he had no other place else to put it all. I will add that he was a good 150 feet on my property. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

He repeatedly pulled out the surveyor's flags until I put steel pins in concrete. It was six months until the county court gave him seven days to remove everything. He did not. So with the blessing of the court and under the supervision of a sheriff deputy I used a skid loader to move his things over the property line.

He complained that I did great damage to his belongings and the judge asked him if he could have done better himself. When he said “I certainly could have”, the judge told him that then that is what he should have done. The judge also told him that if there were any more problems my neighbor was going to jail for contempt of court.

The neighbor sold his house soon after and moved away. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I guess I was just to mean to him. I also have had no problems since he moved. I keep the field mowed and the kids from the homes play there. I have been caught a few times just sitting under a tree watching the kids play ball. That is all the rent I need. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

tenebrous: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I keep the field mowed and the kids from the homes play there. I have been caught a few times just sitting under a tree watching the kids play ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's sad but in the sue-happy society we live in you could be setting yourself up for a liability lawsuit. One of the kids turns an ankle running for a ball. I can here it now: "Well your honor, Mr. Tenebrous should have maintained his field in such a condition as to prevent turning ankles. By continuously mowing the field and even watching the children play he accepted that responsibility. Johnny was well on his way to a career in the Major Leagues, but now...." [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> It's sad but in the sue-happy society we live in you could be setting yourself up for a liability lawsuit. One of the kids turns an ankle running for a ball. I can here it now: "Well your honor, Mr. Tenebrous should have maintained his field in such a condition as to prevent turning ankles. By continuously mowing the field and even watching the children play he accepted that responsibility. Johnny was well on his way to a career in the Major Leagues, but now...."

</font color>

Bill you are correct no matter how sad. I just make sure that I have plenty of insurance and try to not let law suits govern my life. My son is a lawyer and he has said more than once that anyone can sue about anything.

I have spent over thirty-five years working with children and parents. I have been threatened with law suits but never had one filed. It always just fades away when I don't fold to their wishes.