Thread: Leased corn field not harvested, what now?

Leased corn field not harvested, what now?

I will soon be making settlement on my new/old house. The rear of the property is about 14 acres which was leased to a local farmer. Last year there was corn on it, but we had a terrible drought here and it doesn't look like it was ever harvested (all stalks standing, ears still on the plants). I had originally thought that the farmer intended to plow this crop under, but now that I've read a bit I would think if that was the plan he would have done so last fall, but there are also other fields in the neighborhood that were left the same way. Unfortunately the seller and her realtor are not incredibly helpful at this point (I bargained a lot harder than they expected) so I'm looking for some advice on what to do. Am I jumping the gun - is it still too soon here in eastern PA to be working fields? Or has the farmer abandoned these fields for some reason?

Any thoughts?

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Leased corn field not harvested, what now?

I'm taking it that he doe not have the lease with you the new owners right? So now it is your old corn field to do with as you like.You can,#1,ask the guy who planted corn what his plans are,you might want to lease it to him again or at least you will know what his plans are.#2,get you atractor and take care of it yourself or hire somebody to do it#3,just wait and watch for a couple of months. Now if you have the lease with him,I would by all means ask him what his plans are,you will learn alittle about raising corn in your area.If he still has the lease he will be doing something soon to that field or he has abandend it,and if so it gets back to the fact that it now belongs to you. RICHARD GAUTHIER

I would say it is time to talk and make good friends with your neighbor who planted the corn. He will likely fill you in on what he plans to do, and whether he now feels that he can't get to this field as it is changing hands. The seller may have him as confused about it as you are. He could be one of your best future friends that you have for a neighbor. Worth a try.

Yes, it's my hope to develop a good relationship with whoever was farming this plot last year. Short term I will have enough to do with just the house and the few small pastures, so having someone else deal with the back 14 would be great. Longer term I'm thinking that instead of some monetary compensation for the land, I let the farmer use it if he agrees to "take me under his wing".

Does this seem to make sense to you folks?

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

<font color="blue"> Longer term I'm thinking that instead of some monetary compensation for the land, I let the farmer use it if he agrees to "take me under his wing". </font color>

I think that is an excellent idea. That way you can transition from a newbie to experienced and he can save some $$$. Great idea.