Thread: Landscape retaining wall

Landscape retaining wall

Anyone ever built a landscape retaining wall?

The concrete bricks you may get at lowes etc.
    Jon

New to country and loving it.

Re: Landscape retaining wall

To elaborate a little more, I have an area that is approximately 10x40 that is on a hill. It has an approximately 35-degree pitch. I would like to know what kind of base you use under the landscape bricks and how much? How tall can they be stacked?

Thanks
    Jon
    Jon

There is a lot of information at Allan Block. There are multiple .pdf files with loads of design and installation information that can be downloaded for free.

I just did this last weekend. Used 660 blocks. They weigh 22-25 lbs. a piece. It was a real job. Now I know why they call landscaping "grunt" work! Here is a link to ABC Block that shows various types of blocks and other interesting information.

<font color="blue"> I would like to know what kind of base you use under the landscape bricks and how much? </font color>

It depends on the type of soil you have. But in general, you should lay down a concrete base that is twice as wide as the width of the wall.

<font color="blue"> How tall can they be stacked? </font color>

General rule of thumb in most places is that anything over 4 feet tall must be engineered (i.e. get a professional to figure out soil type, drainage, etc.). This varies depending on local building codes (which, out in the country, you can often ignore - but at your own risk [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]).

jmattox1,

I have built several retaining walls both the concrete variety and the landscape block variety. I really liked the finish on the landscape block type.

Someone suggested Allen Blocks. These are excellent block but not available at Lowe's or Home Depot in my area. I used Allen Block but had to locate a specialty place out here. They were more expensive than most types but worth it in my opinion.

You asked:

<font color="blue"> What type of base? </font color>

The preferred method is to use a nice crushed rock base. 5/8 minus would be more than adequate. It should be compacted and no more than 6 inches is required for depth. I would recommend 24" wide. I've never actually seen anyone pour a concrete footing for blockwork (and I did alot of research)

You will also need more crushed rock to backfill behind the wall and also to fill inside the blocks if they are the hollow type. It is not necessary to buy the larger type rock that they suggest you can easily use 5/8 minus again if you like.

Another thing you might consider is drainage. The blocks are engineered to fight hydrostatic pressure much better than a concrete wall but I ran perforated tube behind my walls as well to direct water whichever direction I chose. I know this sounds like alot of work but it's really not hard as long as you get the first layer LEVEL. Very critical.

ChrisJBell mentioned that you shouldn't build over 4 feet without an engineer. This is absolutely true - out here you would also need a permit (engineering buyoff) to build one taller than 4 feet.

This is a bit of a strenuous activity though as the larger Allan Blocks weigh 80 lbs apiece. I just wish I had my tractor when I built my last wall. The good thing though is that you can built it at your own pace.

Best of luck
    TD

Thanks to all who have helped. Any others just chime right in.
    Jon

I'm still looking for the link to ABC block. He must have hid it somewhere around here. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>