Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ham bone soup without beans

Ham bone soup without beans

Just ate most of a tasty bone in ham for Easter and I want to make some soup or stew out of it. Thing is, my daughter refuses to eat beans (must be genetic - I wouldn't touch beans when I was a kid, either, but love 'em now).

All the recipies I've seen for ham bone soup have beans in them. Does anyone have a recipie for something that you can make with a leftover bone in ham? I still have ham on it, which can either be part of the new dish or eaten in sandwiches and salads, but I've never done a "ham stew" (I can do a pretty tasty beef stew - if I follow the same ideas will that turn out OK?).

I can always make the old standby, but was wondering if anyone else has tried something different...

Re: Ham bone soup without beans

I can't help you, Chris, but our ham bone from Easter is in the crock pot with the beans right now. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Use peas instead of beans.

Egon

Sounds tasty, Bird. Mines on its way right now - going to let it slow cook all day, then cool to get the fat off the top. We'll eat soup tomorrow. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Use peas instead of beans </font color>

Sigh. My daughter won't eat those either. I consulted with a higher authority (my mother [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) and we decided that it wasn't worth trying to please a five year old. We'll feed her mac and cheese or something and then the rest of us can enjoy the traditional ham and bean soup. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]...

Whatever you do don't use peas. Get some navy beans,they are called northern beans,white beans.Wash themgood,4 or five cups in a big pot.Cover them 3 or 4 inches in water and bring to boil,Dice up a medium onion and put it in.Add the ham bone or as much as you can of it and high simmer for 6 or 8 hours,adding water as nessary to make it soupy,also add salt and black pepper and taste after its cooked for a few hours for salt.Now the trick I add to these soup beans is when I cook the ham, I don't throw away the juice thats in the pan,I add about a cup of it to my beans,makes a big difference,to me anyways.Ham will freeze and so will the brooth,so you can get them out when you want to make the soup beans.Watch and don't put to much salt in them,the ham is already salty.One thing we never throw away or feed to the dogs is a ham bone or ham brooth,another is bacon grease,I'd buy bacon grease if you could,lard just does'nt have the flavor.Any more bean questions,send them my way.I could eat beans[brown or soup] at least twice a week.Gasification never did bother ME any. RICHARD GAUTHIER

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Gasification never did bother ME any

[/ QUOTE ]

We hear you, but does it bother the family, the neighbors, the people down the street, and those on your side of town? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gauthier:

I'll put my wifes ham bone pea soup to the taste test any day.

Egon

Well to be honest,I've never tried ham bone pea soup,so [I guess],it could eatable.I make new pototo,new pea with ham ,altogether soup,when,as the new implies,potatoes are still about the size of golf balls,and use fresh peas out of the garden.with plenty of ham chunks.Maybe thats what your wife is making,and that is indeed good.As far as me bothering other people with my sometimes intense clouds of gasification,my 5 year old daughter thinks it pretty cool,and my wife,well after 22 years,lets just say the honey moon is way over with.Now don't mix up peas and beans again. RICHARD GAUTHIER

You should get a taste of my bean soup. Uses beer marinated steak meat, garlic, hot peppers, garlic, sweet peppers, tomatoes, potatoe, hot peppers, garlic, basil, lemon and olive oil. Takes all day in the camper oven and is just ready after the evening fire has been lit. Sit, eat, watch the loons, watch fish jumping and listen to the frogs.

Egon