Thread: 3way lights help.

3way lights help.

Wife wants two light switches to control an overhead light in the kitchen. Currently there is one light switch near the back door, but no way to turn on the light when your inside without crossing a dark room. Now the issue. THe kitchen has had some recent remodels and wallpaper, work so wife doesnt want any more holes.

120v----------------light------------~-----switch
    120v----------------------------------~-------|

I only have access to the switch and power source is on the other side of the light. Any way to make this configuration a 3way switch arrangement?

120v-----------light------switchxxxxxxxxxxxxxswitch
    1-----------------------------s|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

What should the xxxxx look like? I know if I had access to the 120v side I can do it, but not sure in this case if I can.

Re: 3way lights help.

The good news is that it can be done. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The bad news is I think it's going to take some rewiring and fishing wires to do it. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

You might want to look either here or here for the wiring information you need complete with diagrams. The internet is a wonderful thing. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck with your project. I hope this helps. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary, Thanks. I know how to wire a normal 3way but this one has to be done on the switch side and I cant run any more wires. to the light or power source.

I cant route any new cables without damaging the walls or ceiling. Not going to do that.

thanks.

Seems to me you can get remote control outfits now that are designed for retrofiting into an existing situation. Would something like that work?

Steve

gws,
    This is what I assume you have now.

This is what you need it to look like

You need to run a new 3 conductor wire to the new switch location. and wire up as above. Let me know if I confused you. I know......kinda crude drawings [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Inspector,
    I was hoping you might chime in. Ill give that a try. Wife will be very happy if this works.

I just finished retroing a switch to a three way. You need to locate the new box and just run a 14-3 or 12-3 wire from the old box to the new. The line wire from the breaker box goes on the odd terminal of the first switch and the the red and black wires are conected to the remaining terminals. In the other box the red and black again attach to the two like terminals and the white attaches to the odd terminal. The white now carries the current back to the original box and is conected to the load wire that was on the old switch. There are other solutions if the wires are hard to access.

There are X10 units that you can use to replace your present switch and then add a remote switch where ever you want in the house. It is fast, easy and works well. Radio Shack carried them too.