Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best brands of oil

Best brands of oil

I've used Pennzoil forever. Both of my 1989 Chevy trucks used about a quart between oil changes, but they both have 175K miles on them. Someone told me that Pennzoil will tend to used more oil than other popular brands, such as Valvoline or Quaker State. So far, my 1999 Chevy truck hasn't used any oil and I've put almost 1500 miles on it, but I don't know what brand is in it. I'm getting ready to change it this weekend. What brands do you use and why?

Re: Best brands of oil

I like Quaker if it's something without a bunch of miles on it, or that I plan to keep for awhile. In a beater I run the cheapest oil I can get.

Steve

I suspect oil brands are like truck brands, tractor brands, pop brands etc. Each will work so it's your own choice. Where you will see some difference though is in a move from regular oil to synthetic. That's another whole can of worms that I'll not jump into right now [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Rob

<font color="blue">...Pennzoil will tend to used more oil than other popular brands, such as Valvoline or Quaker State... </font color>

I think you're listening to "old wives tales"... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Besides, Pennzoil and Quaker State are one and the same company... I wonder really how much different the oils truly are... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (pretty soon to be owned by Shell...)

I'll make it easy Danny... go down to Walmart or your favorite store... what name brand oil is on sale today...?

That's the one to use this time ... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I don't see that the brand of oil can make that big of a difference. It all gets pumped out of the ground and processed in pretty much the same way. As long as it adheres to the SAE standards (and they all do) it shouldn't matter. The weight is probably all you need to worry about.

If you note the owners of the refineries you will know how many different companies refine oil. The cost and type of oil will depend on the type and amount of adatives that are added. The base oil stock does not wear out. The adative package is used up or the oil becomes contaminated with combustion byproducts.

Egon

<font color="blue"> If you note the owners of the refineries you will know how many different companies refine oil. </font color>

One of my close friends works for ChevronTexaco - his dad was a VP for Chevron. He says that ChevronTexaco spends more time and energy refining and performing testing on their products than most other companies. I don't know the actual truth of the matter, but I use their products with no trouble...

I've done a little research on this subject over the years, both in print, and by talking to people in the industry and in related industries like performance and standards testing.

The long and the short of it is this - most oils are comparable within their quality level. Top line oils all perform pretty much the same. Discount oils all perform pretty much the same.

But

There are signifigant differences between "groups" of oils. While they all meet SAE specs, top line oils contain better, more complete, longer lasting additive packages. And while it is true that allmost all oil comes from the same place, it is the additive packages that make the difference in the oils ability to maintain lubricity, resist breakdown, and suspend contaminants.

Bottom line - for a "keeper" use good quality oil
    For a "beater" use whatever is cheap.
    Re-refined or recovered oils fall a step below cheap in terms of durability
    Synthetics are a step above good, with extraordinary flow, lubricity, and breakdown resistance. Just remember that with synthetics, your engine is still making the same amount of dirt. In other words, even though the oil might go 10,000 miles, don't think that theres only 3,000 miles worth of crap floating around in your expensive engine.

Brand preference probably doesn't matter, but be aware that there are specialty oils out there - diesel formulations for example.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

"Just remember that with synthetics, your engine is still making the same amount of dirt. In other words, even though the oil might go 10,000 miles, don't think that theres only 3,000 miles worth of crap floating around"

I agree. I've never used synthetic for that reason.

I used to do alot of engine rebuilding and I can say without a doubt that synthetic oils from Mobil, Amsoil, Red Line, etc. will make your engine last alot longer than conventional oils.
    Personally I use Amsoil in everyhting from the gargen tractor to the Kubota tractor to the cars - engine and trans.