Thread: What's with this ity bity oil filter?

What\'s with this ity bity oil filter?

Having had a Chevy 350 for many years, and now getting a 5.3L, I was quite surprised to see how much smaller the oil filter is compared to the 350. Seems like it's too small. But, it takes 6 quarts instead of 5, which is a good idea.

Re: What\'s with this ity bity oil filter?

Mosey.....the coffee cup sized oil filter doesn't have to be your lot in life. There is very often a sensible interchange if you do a little poking around the filter selection at the local auto parts store. I've driven NINE different Chev-lay pickups with the 350, and four of those were 3/4 ton models. The 3/4 ton pickups have enough ground clearance to use the Chev-Lay truck filter which adds yet another quart. That's just one example. Our '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 had a dimpy little filter, but I discovered the filter off the Mopar 318 screws right on. Another example. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You can just check for clearances around the filter and see if the space available will permit an upgrade. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: What\'s with this ity bity oil filter?

Many times the filter book will list more than one filter number for an application. Sometimes, those different numbers are for different sized filters. Sometimes, by looking a year or two forward or backward in the book, you can find a different sized filter that will fit the same app.

Steve