Thread: New House, small pond.

New House, small pond.

I recently moved into a new/old house and there is a small (appx 20x40) pond in one of the small pastures. The property has not been well maintained in recent years. I took a look at the pond the other day and now I have questions....
    I can't tell if there is a constant inflow of water - we've had a lot of rain this spring and it seems like the pond is primarilly supplied by run-off. There doesn't seem to be a defined outflow - what water leaves the pond just sort of fades into the ground as it moves across the pasture. There appears to be a large amount of decaying vegitation in the pond which is surrounded by brush and a few trees.
    My questions are these:
    Is this pond worth maintaining to impound water, or is it just a big puddle?
    I'm concerned about bugs - if I keep it, in addition to cutting back the trees and brush, should I attempt to remove the dacaying material from the pond?
    How about some form of areation - a small fountain or...?
    In general, what would be the best way to deal with this? Is it an asset, or just a problem?

Any advice, input appreciated!

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: New House, small pond.

Gregg,
    I am no expert but have been talking to a couple about ponds lately. If I were you I would do a little clean up and watch the pond for a year to see how it holds water. Many run off ponds do just fine while others are just puddles like you said.

One of my friends on TBN turned me on to www.PONDBOSS.COM There is a discussion group there that will give you some good ideas.

MarkV