Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to Live?

Best place to Live?

Howdy,
    We currently live in NJ in a place that used to be rural on 11 acres. We are thinking of moving to an area that is not so populated with more land. We are open to suggestions. Prefer the 4 seasons and good people. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Rich

Re: Best place to Live?

I lived in the Midwest for a while. I liked it quite a bit. Good people, lots of open space. I was in Indiana, and that was nice. My mom lived in Ohio on 27 acres for a while and that was also very pleasant - Ohio has a bit more terrain than Indiana (although southern Indiana has some hills).

I'm on 10 acres out in California now and I really like it. I'm not a good "winter" person. We do get the seasons - here in the Sacramento area there are a bunch of trees so you get a decent fall - but they are pretty mild. We definately don't get the fall colors like the eastern areas.

But there are a lot of California people that aren't so good. Where I am is different, though, because we're all trying to live a more rural lifestyle - I know all of my neighbors, which I never have in the past. But I suspect that there isn't any real answer to your question [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]...

Thanks,
    I know there is no real answer. I am the only one who can find the answer. However, I do appreciate and value other's experiences and judgements. It would be almost impossible for me to look everywhere. It would take a lifetime to do it personally. That's where you and others on this message board come in.
    I lived in Indiana for a while - too flat. I also lived in south eastern Ohio where there are some hills. I would consider that area again.
    I have relatives in your area of CA. It is tempting...
    Rich

<font color="blue"> I have relatives in your area of CA. It is tempting... </font color>

It can be tough to find something out here that mere mortals can afford. Property values are absolutely crazy. But there are places where it isn't too bad - if you go far enough away from the cities. I'm pretty lucky to have what I do - there's no way I could afford it now, though [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. My place has pretty much doubled in value over the past five or six years.

Wiith all the replys you will be getting, start taking long weekend trips to look over.
    Bozeman, Montana, beautiful during all four seasons.
    PJ

Rich:

Consider the Shenandoah Valley. That would be anywhere along Interstate 81 through Virginia/West Virginia. Still quite rural with nice small towns and the people to match. John Denver's song is right - "Almost heaven".

I am up the road from you, Warren County. This summer we went on vacation to the Mid-West. We really liked Wisconsin. The Madison area reminded us a lot of the part of the world we live in, BUT very open. 30 minutes from Madison was just great, rolling hills, open, very nice people.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck

I would recommend the state of Maine. A wonderful coastline, very nice people, and plenty of space away from the population centers.

However, you can't get here any more..... cause we pulled up the drawbridge shortly after we arrived. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm bringing a boat to get across!

"I lived in Indiana for a while - too flat"

SW Indiana is quite hilly. No mountains though, just hilly. It's also one of the lower populated areas of Indiana. The thing I don't like is the humidity. Otherwise, the climate is moderate - 4 seasons with very little extreme weather.

If I have to move (if I lose my job at Cummins there's not much else to pick from around here without going to the big city of Indy, which I don't relish the idea of), I've considered SE Ohio. I've passed through several times and it seems like a nice area. I don't know anything about the job market there though.

Here's a summary of places I've lived and my opinion of them (remember, it's just my opinion and not meant to be derogatory).

Michigan:
    Pros: Lots of trees (good fall colors), great soil for growing anything (great for gardening), great hunting, good job market. Also for me, family lives there.
    Cons: Humid, very long very cold winters, cold wind blows a lot, too many cloudy days, too many mosquitoes, too many taxes.

Tennessee:
    Pros: Lots of trees (good fall colors), good hunting, mountains, fun outdoor areas, great Jeep trails.
    Cons: Humid, hot summers, not so good job market.

Florida:
    Pros: Lots of summer fun, very mild winters.
    Cons: Very humid, very long very hot summers, not a four seasons climate.

Texas (mainly Houston area):
    Pros: Great job market, no state income tax, very mild winters.
    Cons: Very humid (Houston area), very long very hot summers, not a four seasons climate.

Colorado:
    Pros: Great hunting, great mountains, endless list of fun outdoor areas, great Jeep trails (some of the best anywhere). Dry comfortable climate. Lots of sunshine. Huge areas of National Forest and other public lands.
    Cons: Poor job market outside of the big cities along the front range. Very long very cold winters, cold wind blows a lot. Don't even think about trying to grow a garden. Property values, especially anything with acreage, are very high.

Indiana (southern):
    Pros: Lots of trees (good fall colors), good soil for growing (good for gardening), hilly areas for hiking and winter sledding, four seasons climate, but mild winters (usually, this year was an exception), plenty of sun.
    Cons: Humid, hot summers, not so good job market outside of the big cities, not good hunting, not good Jeeping.