Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to Live?

Re: Best place to Live?

Here's another similar thread (from TBN):

Why do you live where you live?

There is good about most places in the country. If you have anything or make any kind of money the first thing I would look at anymore is taxes. There are a couple senators that are trying to bring back a homestead act bill to encourage people to go to underserved areas. They will forgive student loans, taxes, no interest loans, etc. I hope it works.

That's the reason that I'm still in Iowa. I took the underserved population option in school. They paid for a good portion of my school, well gave me loans that are forgiven every year, in return for working in an underserved area. The funny thing is I am making more here than I probably would have most places I had wanted to go!! It's funny how things work out sometimes. My five years was up three years ago and I'm still here. Things have gone too good to just up and leave. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

my husband and i moved from Long island to upstate NY 3 years ago. My advise would be to first decide what you want. You like the mountains? Ocean? Desert? Skiing? swimming? etc. Then you can narrow it down somewhat. If you like to ski- you don't want Florida, etc. Would you need to work? If so, what do you do? Custom made furniture may not be an option in a poorer state like West Virginia, etc. Do you or your family have chronic medical needs? Or are you getting older? In this case you may not want to live somewhere where the nearest hospital is 2 hours away, etc. Will there be children attending school? It doesn't matter how nice an area is, if you can't send your kids to the school. Do research on the internet. Contact the chambers of commerce, get local newspapers, etc. Also where do you like to vacation? Like us- you made be able to find some place in your favorite vacation spot. That way you'll always feel like you're on vacation. When you narrow it down, contact local real estate offices- see if you can afford the housing and taxes. Then go there and "town" shop. What may sound good may be old info, or just not your thing. Hope this helps. Good luck.

whats this talken bad about poor west by god virginia?I'll have you know I'm a many generation pure bred 100% hillbilly,and I have anice trailer on almost 1 acre of hillside,8 kids,6 chickens,1hog,and 6 big fans for to keep us all cool.Well I got to go now and go shoot at some food,my littlst child is looken kinda peeked,and I'm thinkin all she needs is a big mess of fried grondhog with grannies spring tonic.You keep em straight up there in new york. RICHARD GAUTHIER

<font color="red">Custom made furniture may not be an option in a poorer state like West Virginia, </font color>

Earthmother...do you really think you can buy anything anywhere that I cannot get just because I live in West Virginia?(believe it or not I was in a Mercedes dealership last night) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    You have been watching too much television,yes West Virginia's average income is low,but I live 10 minutes away from several homes that average $300,000 to $400,000 dollars,there is a lot of money along the Ohio River because of industrial giants like Dupont/General Electric/Shell was here for 40 years.Medical care some of the finest and we have a good educational sytem....I know a guy who went to school for 20 years,he flunked the 10th grade twice 2x10... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    There our junk houses with some junk cars in the yard,The poorer people on the average live in some of the underdeveloped counties in the state.
    Ever heard of the Greenbrier Resort ?
    I hear the eastern panhandle of West Virginia(Shepherds Town) is a sought after area,a lot of people that live and work in Washington DC want to live out in the country and are willing to commute.
    And there is custom made furniture that is made here in West Virginia by native craftsmen that brings big $$$ for whoever is willing to pay.
    I hear West Virginia jokes all the time(since I work in Ohio) and I even tell a few myself,but the jokes do not bother me,what I do not like is the mentality of people that assume things from what they see on tv and the ignorance of some of the reporters themselves etc...
    I have talked to people from and who lived in Upper New York state,they say it looks like West Virginia.
    Some of the most beautiful areas in the eastern United States is the Potomac Highland region elevations 3000'
    And I have been to other areas in the US I have thought if I had it to do over again I would like to live...Arizona/Colorado.... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Richard and Steel Wheels - would you shut up!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] We don't need any more new yorkers here! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Steel Wheels, you said </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I hear the eastern panhandle of West Virginia(Shepherds Town) is a sought after area,a lot of people that live and work in Washington DC want to live out in the country and are willing to commute.

[/ QUOTE ] - hey, I resemble that remark.

Summit Point, where I live, is in the eastern panhandle (along with Shepherds Town, Charles Town, Harpers Ferry and more). We just re-financed and our appraised value has increased 56% in four years - to pretty near the price range you mentioned. I'm pretty sure putting the old couch on the front porch and the washing machine in the front yard with the 8 foot satellite dish is what did it. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

My intentions were not to offend anybody or to make WV jokes. Please accept my apologies. I've been to WV and think the area is beautiful. In fact I think some of the prettiest areas are WV, Va, and Tenn. My intentions were to help people who wanted to relocate- to go about the process with a system in mind so that they picked the right area for them. Since my husband and I farm- hopefully getting to FT homesteading- we watch very little TV, so I 'm not stereotyping people in WV from TV. My father was an upolsterer and here in the East, people did have furniture reupolstered and custom made. When we moved to the Seattle, Washington area, he had a hard time getting a job, because out there it appeared that when furniture wore out, people bought new. It was the life style of the area. That's how we ended back in NY. I guess the custom furniture that's in WV (my guess of course) is the hand crafted kind. (I like that furniture and try to buy it when I can.) Which is great if that is your talent, but my father didn't do that. So anyway, my apology to all in WV. BTY- I live in NY because this is were my job is. (We both work for NY state). I would live in a more rural area if I didn't have a state job (whether in NY or another state). And yes, we do live in a rural/farming community now, with dogs , cats, goats, horses, chickens, and hopefully some sheep this year. And we have a 200+ year old fixer-upper, that we are currently working on. Although I'm older now, my dream was always to have a yard full of kids and animals and live off the land. I'm not the city slicker type.( which is fine if you are) So I'm not "picking" on WV or any other rural area.

I'm pretty sure putting the old couch on the front porch

I tried to pull that trick but my wife wouldn't let me [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

This has turned out to be a pretty fun thread, eh? Fact is that it really doesn't make much difference where you live as long as you're happy in your environment, and with yourself (that is the tough part).

'Course, there's been some pretty serious fiction posted here. Mercedes dealers in West Virgina? C'mon, we all know that no one there would buy any of them foriegn jobbies

(For those of you that are sensitive, I am marking this statement as an Official Joke.)

I forgot to mention,last year the goverenment bought us one of those new fangled freezing boxes,for us to try to keep the food from spoilin,[they have cut back on are checks],and I got her full of deer and squirrel meat,so since you said that you'ins was sorry earth woman,I am gonna invite you down and we'll have us a regular big time,I'll even move ma out on the porch,and you can have her bed,its gettin warm now anyways,little sarah beth, said for me to say hey,[ifin you come down,you better bring her a doll baby,she can be a regular little wild cat when she wants to]. RICHARD GAUTHIER

You did not offend me...... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    I just wanted to try and help clear up any misconceptions....
    There are some very poor areas in parts of WVa...monetary poor....but for the most part the people are rich in kindess. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Peace......