Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to Live?

Re: Best place to Live?

That is an area of the state I have not made it to yet....but I will some time...

I visited the Harper's Ferry area last May & it was beautiful & facinating. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Next week, we be coming through WV again on our way to OBX. I look forward to travelling through WV every time. We may stop somewhere for a day thing again... not sure yet.
    Any suggestions near I77, I64, I68, or I70. We can go down through many different ways from Ohio...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Any suggestions near I77, I64

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not WVBill, but my favorite in WV is Pipestem State Resort, especially the two golf courses. You can read about it at Pipestem Resort. My hillbilly wife grew up near there. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And of all the hillbilly jokes I've heard, my favorite was the question: "How long do they cook meat in West Virginia?" Answer: "Until the tire marks don't show." I told my wife they found out about her family. Now "well done" meat is OK with me, but her family only ate meat that had been turned to charcoal [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ; took me awhile to change her cooking habits, but after 38 years, she's a pretty darned good cook. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Thats where me and the misses and the little ones live at, about 10 miles from pipestem, close to a town called hinton, I'm sure your wife has heard of it.Its a place that welcomes the tourest crowd,and generally not to many of them there at one time anyways.You got whitewater rafting on the new river,you got some pretty good smallmouth fishing on the greenbriar,plus you got a lake,the greenbriar resort is about 40 min. away in whitesulpher springs,pipestem state park,and people like me to be the iceing on the cake.If you was coming from ohio,take 77 south to beckly,then get on 64 east and get off at the sandstone exit,from hinton you are about 45 min from bluefield,princeton,if you wanted to continue south on 77,or go back to the sands stone exit and you are about 2 hours from 81 in va. . RICHARD GAUTHIER

Yep, I've been to Hinton. My wife's from Princeton; still has her mother, two brothers and a sister living there. It's been several years, but one of her brothers and I used to fish the New River aways up above Bluestone Dam. And when I was in the business of repairing air tools, my primary parts supplier (and provider of technical assistance when needed) is in Beckley.

All right bird! its a small world as they say.

Hinton is neat...the Blusetone dam right above it...I went clear down in that dam in an elevator...The New River feeds it,flows south to north from either North or South Carolina.
    Bird a man and his family from Princeton was at my house today,made me think of you.

I would recommend driving through the Blackwater Falls/Canaan Valley Area,down to Dolly Sods/Spruce Knob and the Mouth of Seneca areas and then get back on 64 down around Lewisburg maybe....

Yes sir, if you got the time, that drive you described would be a nice one,maybe get a motel room about half way down,so you could take you time and see more stuff,caves,seneca rocks,go up to the top of spruce knob,green bank observitory,fish hatcheries,e.t.c, e.t.c... RICHARD GAUTHIER

Earthmother (Karen),
    We do like the area of NY you are in. In fact we are planning a little trip up there in June for a hobby meeting of mine so I'll take a drive around your town.
    How are the locals (neighbors and town officials) in regards to alternative energy like wind generators?
    A couple of years ago a guy tried to restore his windmill and when it was done a neighbor in a new development house across the street sued him for ruining their property value!
    I just called the local zoning official here in NJ and got a cold response to the wind generator question.