Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to Live?

Re: Best place to Live?

How timely... I had some info for Earth Mother and it is Alternative Energy source in nature. Hmmm. First the info then comment:

www.bpsolar.com There is a solar energy energy (electricity) savings estimator at this site. NOTE: it is put there by the folks selling PV panels but it isn't toooooo optimistic. The California Energy Commission has rebates up to 50% of purchase price and BP (solar panel mfg) offers financing. It doesn't get much better than this and still it isn't cheap or unusually cost effective. Too bad if you are in NY.

Commentary regarding best place to live (with 4 seasons): I have lived in several places with 4 seasons, including Minot, North Dakota where it is said they only have 3 seasons, July, August, and winter. There is usually something of redeeming value in most areas, you just have to look longer and harder and expend more effort to develop a taste for some of them. I liked NW Ohio, the Llano Estacado of New Mexico, San Diego, and Oklahoma (east of a SW to NE diagonal line through the center of the state.

My wife, the retirement planner, bought several books on the top retirement locations in the US and some favored expatriot locations. We spent a few weeks of vacation time exploring many of these over a decade. At the time of the search we were living in a very nice neighborhood in San Diego just a block or two out of direct view of the Pacific Ocean, 3 miles (no freeway driving) from our work. (Yes, we were spoiled!)

Background: San Diego had a small town feel completely out of proportion to its large populaltion. Traffic congestion was initially quite low and many folks easily commuted large distances to their jobs. Populaltion reached a point where there was a rapid non-linear increase in congestion efects that easily outstripped all attempts to allieviate via additional lanes and new roads. This was accompanied by all the social ills of overcrowding and I don't mean just traffic.

There is a lesson here: Don't select a place for the way it is without giving considerable thought to the way it will become. At one time we could have bought some land in the countryside not too far out of San Diego and commuted but my decision was to not do it based on the growth that would have clogged the commute within 10-15 years. It happened as I predicted, or worse.

After over 10 years of looking and studying and comparing I took my wife on vacation to south central Oklahoma and let her do her analytical thing regarding demographics, annual income, taxes, support services, highway conditions, and on and on and on. There was only one location in Oklalhoma that made anyones list of "BEST" retirement locations and it was right on the Arkansas border but was not seriously a contender, for us.

She found the friendliness of the rural folks to be truly amazing (just as I remembered from my youth) We do have 4 seasons (nice fall colors) but you have to drive 2-3 hours to see fall foliage displays in eastern Oklahoma that rival anything in the Great Smokey Mountains or New England. Most winters we get snow but you can't count on it to get deep or stay long. Summers DO get hot and humid and you would want A/C. We get some fairly cold weather of modest duration but I have never found anyone with personal experience of the ground freezing down as far as a foot. Utilities are moderately priced but not the nations lowest. Food is plentiful, varied and well priced. Gasoline is usually priced below the reported average prices.

Oklahoma has more miles of shoreline than Minnesota and is a watersports (fish, ski, boat, look, swim) bonanza. Get a map that shows water and it is amazing how much of the state is blue (except for the pan handle which I would gladly cede to Texas), probably a kneejerk reaction to the great dustbowl event.

Rural land prices slowly ratchet up but stay well below those of places with higher populaltion density. The county of San Diego, California is mostly desert except for the coastal strip and a few small populalton concentrations near agricultural or recreational locations B U T it has more permanent residents than the entire state of Oklahoma. Fewer folks with more time to be friendly and yes we still wave at other pickups and if they didn't wave first they wave back.

In San Diego we had purchased a small rental property (tiny lot with two stucco houses on it.) There was a one and a two bedroom each with single bath. They were in a neighborhood that was being shifted from about 1/2 owner occupied and 1/2 rentals to large appartment complexes and condos. We owned ours after having made payments for 30 years. We traded it under an IRS rule (Starker trade) for the rural property we have now. I think the lot was 45x125 or something like that. We traded it for 160 acres with 8 ponds (we are up to 10 ponds now). The older 8 ponds are all teeming with fish, frogs, turtles, etc. and one of the new ones is stocked, just one left to stock and it will get catfish. The land is fenced, cross fenced, has a hay barn (steel pipe and galvanized corrugated metal), a metal shop bld (37x70 plus office) good well. It is keeping 40 head plus calves right now but will be reduced before next winter sets in.

The purpose of this detail is not to brag but to illustrate the vast difference in property costs. There is absolutely no way I could have EVER bought a 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile chunk ( 36 city blocks) of gently rolling park land with lots of pecan trees, a good producing pear orchard, 8 stocked ponds, wild turkey, deer herds, and a variety of other critters in or near San Diego or any of the highly touted (and usually overrated) retirement meccas.

This was not a fluke. I didn't hold a gun on the seller. Land is cheaper here than in any of the published retirement meccas. Land prices will continue to ratchet up. There is a phenomena, well recognized by real estate professioinals, where folks sell a residence in a high price zone and relocate to a modest cost area, reinvesting all the proceds into the new house. With the difference in land costs this buys a lot of land, puts a lot of $ into the house, or both.

I have met other expatriot Californians and refugees from other fast pace high price locations who are my extended neighbors (within 10 miles) We compare notes and have a group lament regarding lack of cable TV, DSN lines, pizza delivery, and such but to the last man (or woman) declare our inability to even consider returning to the crowded city and all that it has to offer.

We considered several things aout various alternative locations (Texas, Arkansas, ...) Arkansas is also a popular retirement magnet but the rural road situation is abysmal. Off the interstate you have motorhomes putting up steep winding roads. being passed by locals who have no patience (often on blind curves) and all this while you are sharing the roads with logging trucks who sort of make their own rules. I think Oklahma has a good rural road system, almost as good as Texas which in many areas is truly outstanding.

Hope this wasn't tooooo boring. I think it would apply, in part, to many other locations, not just south central Oklahoma.

P,S. We canoed through one of the ponds toward the creek feeding it and set a couple beaver traps. Got the bugger before he got any nice big old trees. About a 50-60 pounder with ENOURMOUS incisors.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

He should take some time and go to Cass Railroad and go across the Highland Scenic Highway and stop at Cranberry Glades and see the New River Bridge.....I heard the Highland Scenic Highway was one of the top rated roads in the US for scenery...

I drove on that highland scenic highway kinda by accident about 5,6 years ago looking for ramps,[found some too]. I had came into that area from the west from ranelle way,and ended up on that road to get back to 219 to lewisburg.I am still telling people about it,it was a new 2 lane[wide 2 lane],that follows the ridge,part I was on anyways,no houses or people period in april,still snow drifts in spots3,4 foot deep,inthe hollars,I guess its a national park road?I been talking about going back for a longer look since,but havn't,its only about1 hr. 45 min. from where I live at,yeah thats a spot worth going to see alright. RICHARD GAUTHIER

We bought 116 acres in WV last summer. We could have bought more if we would have went over to Doddridge Co. There were several pieces of nice property for $1000 or below. As I wanted to be close by my family, we decided to pay a little more.

I'm a native WV and have been out of the state for 15 years.
    When I left, I never dreamed I would move back but the more I'm in the city, the more I desire rural living.

If I had another choice, I'd probably head to western Wyoming or Montana. I just love the mountains there plus I really like winter.

But as many have already stated, much of the decision may be based on your employment options.

West Virginia does have some very good roads, even the two lane roads, except for the lack of a shoulder on a lot of them, so you can't get off the road even if you had a flat or other car trouble. And have you guys been around there long enough to remember when the toll road from Charleston down to Princeton was a two lane road? I'll never forget leaving Chicago Friday afternoon before Thanksgiving 1971 and driving all night to Princeton in a 3/4 ton pickup with a 10.5 foot cabover camper. Saw the first bit of snow in Indiana, extremely icy roads in Ohio, and snowing like the dickens when we got to Charleston well after midnight. I was really looking forward to getting on that toll road (expecting it to be like the toll road is now), and as we approached it there was a big billboard that said, "This is a modern two lane highway." Sure glad they had that sign there because I'd have never guessed it to be a modern road if they hadn't told me it was. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We got into Princeton about 5:30 a.m. and the first news report I heard was that they had just closed the toll road to all traffic unless they had snow tires or chains (and I had neither).

Its about 35 to 40 miles( I think) from the start of the scenic highway/off of the scenic highway into Richwood and not one house,but of course it is mostly National forest land.
    I have my ramps too, growing on a bank below my house,I transplanted some just for grins and this is the 3rd year and still growing...

I'm going to try to transplant some next year onto my place,Iguess the spring when you dig them would be the time to do that? Somebody told me you could get their seeds ,which I have never seen since I'm never looking for ramps in the summer,and scatter them around and stir them in the leafs a little would work,I guess their seeds would be like an onion seed? RICHARD GAUTHIER

Yes sir bird,I remember the old turn pike,it had some passing lanes on the hills.Me and my buddy,I thank in 1975,were coming home on leave from the amy,and when we got to the turnpike they said we couldn,t get on ,we lived in calhoun county,with out studded tires or chains,we had neither plus they were maypops,we sat there at the booth for a couple of min., looked at each other,and took off up the road anyways,yeah we did.Well it was almost total ice and we got up the road about 5 miles going as fast as we could[about 20 miles an hour],when away off behind us we saw blue lights flashing,well we keep going,now sideways and maybe 40 miles an hour,but the state trooper must not of had maypops and he was gaining ground fast,so we stopped,figureing we whuld spend the rest of the night in jail.The trooper[after telling us what idiots we were and us agreeing that we were indeed idiots,and that we were in the army and hadn't been home for a while,and after all we were from calhoun county where you are supposed to do things like this],believe it or not followed us back to wher the incident started,took us in his car down to a gasstation in bluefield and personally negoteated for us a set of chains off somebody with fl. tags heading south,then took us back to our heap and told us to be carefull and left,Ithink he even paid partialy for those chains,true story. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Cambridge, NY, in the beautiful foothills of the Green Mountains.

Our friends (who became freinds when we bought their house and 10 ac off their 97 ac) are off the grid (solar panels). We live in a agricultural district and you can do pretty much what you want within reason. For example, we have a creek on our property, and if we wanted to work on the creek , dam it, put in a water generator, etc- we would have to go through the DEC. But we can maintain it, by clearing some of the vegatation and weeds. We became friends with the town supervisor, and buy tractor parts from her husband. The people here are great. Everyone is friendly. You become friends with the shop keepers, the police, the diner owners, the waitresses, public officals, you name it. Cambridge has a little over 1000 people. It's like living in Mayberry. we wanted to stay away from the larger towns and cities like Saratoga Springs ( no offense to Saratogians- I have to be careful here). To us it was like Long Island, and we think too may rules and regulations. When the community found out we wanted to farm and maintain the farming lifestyle, we were embraced by the community. Good luck in your search.

I live in Wood County and you need to plant the ramps on the north side of the hill/bank,in a hollow(the shady side of the hill).They like the shade and cool areas.I planted mine the last part of February when it was cool.I would say you would probably be alright in March and April...but the earlier in the season the better.I planted mine on the bank above a creek in a hollow