Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stick welding

Re: Stick welding

CJDave, Your info is wonderful. Thank You.

The booklet that came wirth the kit recomended slightly lower psi settings (which I used) and noticed that the torch was not blowing as hard as I thought it should and the rosebud... wow, that thing was a trip to use..lol (never used one before).

It's been since the mid 80's since I had to do any cutting or bending, it plum wore me out today, but I got everything done that I have been needing done to my trailer for a long long time [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tomorow I will attempt to repair the chain box on my headacke rack on the truck (alum). This should be fun.. LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

OK, another dumb question...

3 welding / brazing tips... How do you know which one to use ?

I was plannig on using the smallest one with my Alum repair since the thickness is aprox 1/8" (maybe slightly less) thick. (corner bead)

I can't help you on the alum-nee-um weld question, but on mild steel and stuff like exhaust pipe, if you are using a tip that is too big, when you try and squeeze down the flame to where you can use it the tip will POP back and go out. THEN you go to a size smaller. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Now of course,as we already know,I'm not planning on insulting your welding knowledge,because we know that you are no average dummy.Smaller tip,less fire,less fire,less heat,so on something an 1/8",I'd start small,but alu.,untill it gets hot takes a good bit of heat,because it is a good conductor,I've mainly just m.i.g.ed it,some t.i.g.,never tried oxyfuel welding of alum.Plus you got to clean it good,that skin ,oxide,on it melts at a much higher temp. than the alum. it self,as does the shiny mill coat on steel,but on alum. this is even more important,power brush or heavy hand brush with aclean or new brush till you see the stuff coming off,also you might want to clean any whatever off it before brushing with alcohol.Than you'll just have to watch your heat because as you go the metal will get hotter,it would be nice if you had some scrap to practice on before you gobed up your truck,I know,I know,you are not your........ WATCH THEM LITTLE CARS. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Richard (dick), Can you every make a reply without being so Condescending ? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I find it a real shame that a man with your knowledge would work so hard on showing his arrogance on here. I, as well as others here are getting tired of the holier than thou attitude.

Myself as well as many here, come here to learn and find answers to questions (tips) to make life a little easier..
    Why are you here ?

I'm here for the same reason you are,truckdriver,to pick up on some stuff that I don't know,but every body else gives advice in areas that they are knowlegeable in.take you for example,your a truck driver you say,well if I ever need a question answered about driving trucks,I would hope people like you would answer it in the same kindly manner I tried to do with you,in the beginning about welding,something I happen to know something about,I don't do it for a hobby,just like you don,t drive truck for a hobby.Now if you want to have private conversations with whoever about whatever,there is e-mail,I would never e-mail somebody on this forum.But if your on here your words will be read by whoever and if they want to respond its afree country,right?Now, since I HAVE EVIDENTLY UPSET YOU.I promise never to respond directly to your postings again,but YOUR certainly not going to keep me from responding to other people whenever I got a mind to.got it? watch those little cars,your friend, RICHARD GAUTHIER

Actually, Handyman, that post on welding aluminum had some vital stuff in it. Aluminum is SO DIFFERENT from mild steel that it sort of takes people by surprise when the bar is warm so quickly TWO FEET AWAY from there the weld is. HEAT TRANSFER and CONTAMINATION are the two main considerations in welding aluminum. For example......you can go from aluminum wire to mild steel wire in your machine WITHOUT throwing away or at least exchanging the liner, whereas NO WAY can you go from mild steel to aluminum.....ther is too much iron residue inside the liner and that's just enough to foul the weld area. Oxydation, coatings of ANY KIND, and even aged stock can all be a problem in aluminum welding. Those were some good points that RG made there for you on that post. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Thankyou for the verification of some of the info. I have been trying to give away for a couple of months now C.J.,I really didn't mean to get any body flustered,but when I felt like I was being considered an idiot,or was bothering somebodies private chat line,I got a little p.o.ed,and let whoever know that,in my little way.For the record,I have been a certtified,[by many different organizations],pipewelder for 23 years,before that I started out helping on gas pipelines and related construction,did that for about 3 years,as soon as I got out of the army,in 1977.I have for the past19 years been a certified welding inspector through the american welding society.I am also a a.s.n.t certified level III in p.t. and m.t.,I have two A.A.S. degrees,one in welding management,and one in welding technology.Ihave been working for the past many years as a construction welding inspector,working in power plants,pipelines,chemical plants,e.t.c.Now I still have a lot to learn,and now I'm getting to the point where I've forgotten some stuff I have already learned once,but I don't consider my self an expert in anything,just trying to offer a little help where I can. RICHARD GAUTHIER

RG..... My moonguys... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] .....think that you should "flesh out" your profile just for the heck of it. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] They always want to know who does/has done what. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Probably should,but I guess I already did, RICHARD GAUTHIER

<font color="blue"> GARY,you are new to this welding stuff. RICHARD GAUTHIER </font color>

Richard,

I really don't understand what point you're attempting to make here. In fact, yes, I am new to welding. I've even posted on that a number of times here and you've been aware of it for a while from another thread.

What am I missing here? Is there some subtle message I was too obtuse to grasp?