Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news, bad news...

Good news, bad news...

First the bad news. As I type this I'm looking at a pretty substantial burn on my left forearm sustained in my welding class tonight. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I was running a vertical and felt a spark (I thought) on my flannel shirt but figured it would burn out as they all have. I had a real nice bead going and didn't want to stop so just ignored the pain.

Well, instead of it stopping in a moment when the spark burned out as I expected, it seemed to not only intensify but also even enlarge. I stopped running the bead and flipped up my helmet to find a two inch flame actually burning my shirt. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I put it out, cleaned the wound and bandaged myself up just as we took a scheduled break. Since I didn't have another flannel with me I figured I was done for the night.

One of the other guys in the class heard what happened, went out to his truck and brought in a pair of leather sleeves for me. After the class I folded them up to return to him only to have him tell me to keep them. He has a leather jacket he wears and said he didn't need the sleeves. As we left he had me come over to his truck and pulled out two new leather aprons still in the plastic bags and gave them to me as well. Apparently his employer supplies new ones on a regular basis and he's never used them. Needless to say, being given the sleeves and the aprons was the good news for the night. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know about the aprons, but I'm definitely going to use the sleeves after this experience. This arm really hurts. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Good news, bad news...

Gary:

Ouch, burns hurt. Heal quickly.

Thoughts: From the NON WELDER

when welding stay away from syntetic materials and stick with natural fibers. You may have to overdress and be too warm at times but so be it. If you wear fire retatardent clothing always have a good layer of natural fibers under them.
    The leathers are almost essential to peace of mind. As you noticed you can't run a good bead and worry about hot spots at the same time. Then there is the time lost having to go back and do some grinding so you can start your weld again. Also make sure you are wearing proper boots that are laced up. Slag down the tongue hurts to. Running shoes don't count as stepping on a sharp sliver of steel doesn't feel nice either as does having them melt on your feet.

Keep at it.

Egon

Condolences on the burnt forearm, Gary. That's good about the free sleeves and apron. USE THEM religiously! As Ergon mentioned, it helps you get IN THERE and do a better job not having to dodge sparks. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Ouch !!! I have several scares from burns over the yrs (mainly when I was young) [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

I can testify about the wearing shoes. When I was a teen, I was doing some soldering, just something simple when a drop of solder fell on top of my foot. I don't remember what I wearing, but the solder burned threw my socks and into my foot. left a burn hole 1/8 deep and a scar I've had over 25 +/ yrs.

BTW, I'm curious to why you were wearing "Flannel".. LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As to the flannel, I was wearing it because it was long sleeved, a natural fiber and offered a good degree of protection from sparks (well, until that last one, anyhow). [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I know I don't have a right to suggest anything since your more of a pro than I am, but Denim shirts are heavy enough to provide protection and what about Dickie brand work shirts ?? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I was just out the army and my work clothes were my army fatigues. They were the best I ever used when using a cutting torch or welding.

I used to work in a sheet metal shop as a press-brake operator. We used to find it inappropriately amusing to watch the welders as brightly colored spatter would come to rest in either their boots or worse, behind the plastic band of their helmets. The funniest part was watching the spark land and then the 2 or 3 second delay when the welder was trying to decide if 1) “This is just a small spark and it will stop hurting soon” or 2) “WRONG!!! This thing needs to leave my head NOW!”

Truth be told, I chose flannel for two reasons. The instructor suggested and wore flannel and I already had some so all I had to do was put one on. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> the 2 or 3 second delay when the welder was trying to decide if 1) “This is just a small spark and it will stop hurting soon” or 2) “WRONG!!! </font color>

If only I'd have made that decision with just a "two or three second delay." [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Instead, I went the better part of a minute before I stopped running the bead and put that thing out. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] In hindsight, as with many things in life, I wish I'd responded differently. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] This arm is still hurting. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]