Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good news, bad news...

Re: Good news, bad news...

[img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Er...no too put too fine a point on it, Gary, but BE SURE that you switch hands repeatedly with the stinger. Being able to weld with either hand is fairly important. For one thing, it gives your right hand a break, and then there is always that ONE spot where the left hand is the best for reaching the weld area. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Welding isn't as touchy as most other things when it comes to using one hand or the other, but it does take some getting used to. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Gary
    All electrodes should be stored in any appropriate storage container. if your using a cellulose type of coating on your stick rod like E6010 or E6011 then do not put them in an area where they will get too hot. The low-hydrogen electrodes like E7015, E7016 and E7018 are usually purchased in sealed containers and placed in a storage oven after they are opened. These type of ovens will break down the cellulose type of rods and they in turn will not run as smooth as they should.
    Most stick rods will absorb moisture over time so store them where high humid days will not damage them. My father-in-law stored his above him water heater. Luckily his water heater didn't break and ruin them. I know many people that will use an old frigerator and hang a light bulb in it to keep the humidity away.
    Glad you got your sleeves and hope that arm is healing up without any problems.

Randy

Dave,

That's good advice on swtiching hands and I have actually tried to do that. Old habits do die hard, however. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It's very true about the quality not suffering going with my off hand. If I had been this amibidextrous in sports I'd have probably made some money because of it. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

As it was though, I was a stereotype--big, slow, no left hand and couldn't jump. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

AND from IND.,I lost interest in pro basketball when ole bird quit. RICHARD GAUTHIER

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I've never wasted a minute on pro OR college basketball and think that giving some guy a million two to coach a team at the state university level; in a state with severe budget problems; is outrageous. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] But hey, what do I know, I like day-old donuts and even like a good fried Spam sandwich now and then on toasted sour dough bread. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave,

There's one thing I've never understood with people who complain about how much athletes are paid. Why do you care? I mean, it's not like if the guy signs a $10 milliion deal instead of a $100 million deal you or I are going to get the other $90 million. I don't mean this to sound antagonistic, and I sincerely hope it doesn't. It's just something I've never understood.

I just figure I've got other things to worry about.

Yeah, Richard... Indiana is truly basketball country. I love the game at every level. I've even refereed games at three very different levels in the same day. I did a couple youth league games at the local Y in the morning with 3rd/4th graders at 8 then 5th/6th graders at 9, a HS Holiday Tournament game that afternoon and a college game that tipped off at 7 that night.

It's quite an adjustment foing from one level to another like that and I learned never to try to do that again, but it was fun, nonetheless. If I was certified, I'd have been happy to have done a pro game the next afternoon. It would have been pretty cool to have done five games at four levels in 36 hours. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I bet with your size you are not argued with much on your calls either.I used to like to try and play basketball,but I,m just not coordinated enough to run and dribble,I used to be a little better at football because I got a hard head I guess.Talk at you later. RICHARD GAUTHIER

You're right, Gary.... [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] .......it shouldn't make any difference except maybe if I was a tax-paying supporter of the university or something of that nature. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I suppose that it just makes things seem so out of whack to spend that kind of dough on a "game" when it could benefit so many kids at that skool by being used for scholarships. I know the big arguement is that media and gate receipts help pay for it but it still seems outrageous. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I hesitate to use any word that smacks of "fairness" because I used to get after my kids when they said "Hey, that's not fair!" my response would always be: "Fair is where they show animals, Son." [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave,

My comment about the salaries was referring to those of the professionals where tax dollars are not involved.

As to college coaches, I live in a state who's highest paid state employee for many years was Robert Montgomery Knight. I was certainly neither thrilled by nor proud of that fact (especially in his later years there), but that's the way it was.

I don't blame him for taking the money. It's a market economy in which we live and that's what the market commands. In most cases today, the majority of the income of any high profile coach in a high profile program doesn't come from the university or taxpayers, anyhow.

These coaches garner huge income from shoe contracts, TV & radio shows, speaking engagements and directly from "booster" organizations. That doesn't take into consideration all the 'comps' the coach gets or the sweetheart deals offered to him. In addition to that there are more perks than most of us could even imagine.

Most schools won't admit this, but donations to the respective universities tend to follow the trend of the success of their major athletic programs. That would be an interesting doctoral thesis, wouldn't it? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]