Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEES!!!

BEES!!!

I recently discovered my new home seems to have a major carpenter bee infestation in the roof of one outbuilding. Last weekend while "visiting" the property I noticed a large number (appx 2 dozen) what I think are carpenter bees in/around the eaves at the back of one shed. This building is almost covered by a large vine thicket which I need to remove - but now I have to deal with the bees first. I realize that if they are carpenter bees I will probably need to replace the damaged lumber, but first

I NEED TO GET RID OF THE BEES!!!

Both so I can access the brush to clear it, the building to repair it, and so my daughter and niece aren't in any danger from wayward arial bombardment!

Any helpful suggestions appreciated!!

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: BEES!!!

Gregg,
    We have them every year, and yes they are a pain. I have not had one attack me, but thats not saying they won't. I get a badmitton racket, since they hover kinda slow, whack them good and then go squash 'em [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I've even sprayed wasp spray up into the hole they're chewing, wait until they drunkenly fly out and hit the ground, and THEN squash 'em.
    Tonight I even used a fly swatter to get 3 of them to the ground. SQUASH

For anyone who is interested, a quick "Google" search came up with numerous sites on Carpenter Bees. Interesting reading.

Same thing here ,spray,squash,Ievan filled up there holes with calking about dark a couple of years ago,it keept them out of said holes for maybe a couple of days,they bored through the dryed calking on about all the holes,I'm going to try quick dry cement next.I have been hunting them for about 5,6 years now in the spring with wasp spray,kinda fun, but it don't take long to go through a can,they actually learn that you are after them,spraying them on the fly is the sporting way.I don't think they like pressure treated wood.I think they just make nests in the holes and don't actualy eat the wood,not much difference,sawdust is saw dust,but if you try to cut thier population down than maybe they won't make citys. RICHARD GAUTHIER

Ditto on the badminton racket. They were swarming everywhere Saturday and my son had a friend over. I gave them two rackets and a jar and put a 10 cent bounty on the bees. Cost me $20 (actually killed around seventy bees, a few wasps, and a copperhead) and I haven't seen a bee since.

My research and experience tells me that nearly all of the ones that are buzzing around and harassing you are the males, which cannot sting. The females (which can sting), usually stay in or around the nest. When I bought my place a few years ago, the tractor barn was infested with them. In the winter, I caulked up all their holes (about 50 or 60), then painted the rafters. That cut down the activity by about 98%.

You don't rent them kids out do you? RICHARD GAUTHIER

I dearly wish I had more of them. I sat lazily on a horse yesterday evening supervising my 12 yo operating the loader with skill and awareness to create drainage grades spiffier than I had envisioned and realized that for the first time in 40 years I hadn't even sat on a tractor in more than a year! My heart's been heavy with my daughter's decision to go to college out-of-state this fall. My horses' well-being will certainly suffer from that. When my son; my mechanic, carpenter, machine operator, and hunting/fishing pardner moves out into the world I'll be helpless. Just sit around with the missus and talk to the dog, watch the chickens scratch, and swat at the carpenter bees I suppose.

Ya'll take a kid fishing this weekend, me and Lil J are dang sure going.

yeah, the carpenter bees rarelt sting, but do a great deal
    of damage to blds. I have the kids put an insect net on a
    long pole and I pay them 10 cents a head. If you clog up
    their holes, they will just dig out the other side :~(
    happy bee catching
    Shawn

Autotech-badminton rackets, spray, nets, etc. are all good for sure but, the most important thing is to go out at night and where you can reach plug up the holes with caulk. They will bore tunnels to lay their eggs and can really do alot of damage. If it's a building other than your home you might try some of that spraycan foam sealer used for insulation. Squirt a small amount in the hole and it'll expand and fill.

Richard