Thread: Which rebuilt transmission?

Which rebuilt transmission?

My 1989 Suburban with 190k miles on it needs a transmission. The current one is "chattering" when it shifts and if I use overdrive on a highway trip it gets hot and leaks oil. I don't have time to take it out, rebuild it or get it rebuilt, and then put it back in. I'd rather get a rebuilt one and swap it out in a weekend. I priced transmissions and a GM rebuilt is $1240 with a 3 year warranty. A Jasper is $1360 with a 3 year warranty. Advance Auto has a "Accurate Reman" for $850 with only a 15 month warranty. We currently have no plans to ever get rid of the Suburban, but it's hard to say for sure that we wouldn't go for something more modern in a few years. We've had it 10 years now and have been happy with it. Which option makes the most sense?

Re: Which rebuilt transmission?

I had a GM trans put in my 1991 K1500 at 45,000 miles. That was 9 years and 65,000 miles ago. Still running fine, and that's with pulling a GN horse trailer, hauling hay, etc. Since the original trans went out soon after I bought the truck (used), I only paid half for the trans and half for installation. Did those prices include installation?

I've used Jasper and GM for years, both personally and professionally. I prefer the Jasper for most applications because of two things:

First, they research failures and make modifications to correct them, even if it requires a re-engineering of the trans. For example a few years back I had a customer with an 88 or 89 F-Superduty with an automatic. The Jasper cost a bit more, but it came with not just a new cooler, but the entire cooling circut - fitting, lines, etc. These were substantially larger than the factory parts. Once installed the unit shifted better than the factory original ever had, clean, tight, but not too firm. Its got a ton of hard miles on it now, and it still feels like it did the day I put it in.

Second, they never question warranty problem. One call, a thourough description of the problem, and I usually have replacement parts and/or a check for labor within 2 days.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

No, the prices did not include labor.

I guess the extra money for the Jasper would be worth it. I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks.

Danny,
    $120 is the difference? Go with the Jasper. You'll be happier in the long run if by some odd chance you need the warranty. They have an excellent reputation for rebuilds.

Jerry