Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Something weird with the roof......

Something weird with the roof......

We have been looking at the roof for months saying "something is wrong here..." [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Isn’t the architectural roof shingles supposed to be staggered, so it looks like slate and not lined up in rows? I've attached a picture of the largest area, but there are patches of shingles like this all over the whole roof.

What do you guys think?

Paul
    Paul Bradway

Re: Something weird with the roof......

I see 10 rows with perfectly aligned seams, dreadfully wrong. Doesn't look like the ridge vent was terminated properly either.

Paul:

Umm - how can I put this... That is one TERRIBLE shingle job! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

When we were building this house, I had my brother in law do the roof. It was the first time he had worked with the Architectural shingles. He had an awful time not lining them up. Too many years of making neat lines and geometric patterns. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Needless to say, there were a lot of naughty words being said before he got the hang of it.

Sort of looks like your roof has experienced something similar.

Steve

Hi Paul,

Ummmm... you just confirmed it... something is wrong with your builder.... Big Time! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

(There is NO Way a Professional roofer would lay claim to that job!!!!!) [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

John,

Someone has suggested hiring a independent structural engineer to check this place over. Since I know you are in our area, any ideas how to find one or know of one?

Paul
    Paul Bradway

Yep, that's some pretty brutal roofing. Don't feel bad though, the instructions are on every bundle of shingles. I reroofed my house at the time because the shingles had disintegrated due to a lack of proper venting. The roof had been done professionally, etc., etc.. Every shingle was nailed along the top, rather than in the middle above the glue lines like you were supposed to. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Same cost (same number of nails) just a mickey mouse job which (along with not venting the roof) helped shorten the roof life to about 8 years.

If not staggering the shingles is the only problem, you should be ok for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are other 'issues' hiding to get yah.

Good luck!

Paul,

That is not good news. Does your GC look at the work his subs do? That whole section from top to bottom has to be replaced not just relaid.

I would also suggest that you hire your own inspector to find out what else this clown has done wrong. The cost of the inspector should be subtracted from the final payment to the GC. Paul, you have had to put up with this GC for way too long but don't let him off the hook.

A good suggestion would be to hold back some or all of the final payment to give you an opportunity to be in the house and find other problems. Lastly make sure the GC knows that you are very upset with the whole process and you can be the worst advertisement for him.

Also you need to talk to a lawyer.

If that roof was on one of my projects the sub would be gone and he could sue me if he wanted to collect. I would hire another roofer to do it right and check the rest of the roof. I would then settle only for the material cost less any additional supplies needed to complete the job correctly.

Ditto on the horrible job. I wouldn't hesitate to hold back monies from the GC until this is repaired. I also believe that every third shingle job requires new sheathing (too many nail holes) this would be number 2 on a house not yet finished! Did you happen to look at the packages the shingles came in ?
    Not sure which ones you picked, but I also thought architectural shingles were supposed to have more texture and shadow lines something like this

Paul,

That's just nasty. If it's any consolation, I've seen worse - some brainiac actually shingled a roof section over his deck, by...wait for it...starting from the peak!!

There is no question that this needs to be redone.

Paul