Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something weird with the roof......

Re: Something weird with the roof......

Believe it or not, apparently there are actual, genuine correct ways of shingling from the top, or even sort of sideways! I suspect, however, that 99% of the time, that is done by somebody who simply doesn't know any better, not by a pro who is completely familiar with the proper technique.

Me, I'm a start at the bottom man - give me some traction as I work my way up. I'm afraid of heights!

Paul, How can I say this nicely.... You got what you paid for.

Your brother in-law may be a very nice man, might even have the kindest soul that walked the earth... BUT, he is no roofer.

I fired my roofers after they laid 8 squares when I noticed they put the roof vent boot up side down [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I finished the roof myself after having striping about 3 squares off and having to restart the back section from scratch.

From what I can see, you are going to have to strip your roof and start from scratch. I see too many places where you are going to have leaks which will result in distroying your roof structure.

I don't know what is so hard with putting down shingles... It all goes down the same way. You have to pop a line every 3 feet and a verticle line to keep things lined up.

I think you thought that you could save a couple thousand by getting your bother in-law to do your roof because he might have laid a few shigles... well now you are in serous trouble sir [img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

What I would do is get your bother inlaw back over and the two of you should strip and prep the roof to save the cost of stripping the roof and hire a professional roofer to lay the shingles correctly.

I am not saying any of this in a mean way... You asked our opinion and suggestion what should be done, I wish you luck.
    Keep in mind that the roof is the second most important part of your house (foundation #1). I don't think you need to be told what kind of damage can result from a bad roof. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I wish you well [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> Your brother in-law may be a very nice man, might even have the kindest soul that walked the earth... BUT, he is no roofer.

</font color>

You lost me on this one. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] The builder is doing the roof. You don't EAVEN want to know my BIL. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Paul: We all eagerly await your report of what your GC says when you stand there with him, point to the roof and say "There's something weird with the roof, don't ya think?"

Brian,

When I said "he started from the peak..." I meant that when I saw the job, it was complete. The bottom row of shingles over the second, the second over the third...

I actually did some minimal "back-shingling" when I did my garage roof in order to avoid moving the scaffold too frequently.

Wow! That would be a picture to frame! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe he figgured the water would flow up hill or maybe there are very strong winds round those parts. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

paul, as you already know...i just gc 'ed my own house.....what i would do is get at least 2 more roofing companies out there, get their estimate in writing to correct the job, then have the one you want re do the roof. Dont pay for the first roof, let your builder battle it out with the roofing company, it's his job to stick up for you...remember, he works for you, not the subs! he most likely will give you the runaround about how the roof is structually sound, how the roofers will stand behind their work for a couple of years and everything else he can think of to try and not have to re do the job.....not too sure what kind of arrangements you have with the builder, if it was like the one's we were looking at, then they wanted a certain % draw at each stage of the house...i didnt feel real comfortable with that arrangement either....but dont pay him the next draw until the roof is completed to your satisfaction...he may get pi$$ed and walk away from the job, but in reality, could things have gone much worse if you had done the house without this builder? he might just do you a favor and walk away, but i kind of doubt it! you are far enough along that you can complete the house on your own now if you have to....but i wouldnt release any more money until everything is up to your satisfaction.
    I had to run a ceramic tile guy off from my house because he wouldnt finish the job....he took forever to come back and finish the jacuzzi tub wrap and the tile behind the tub and shower in master bath....finally i just hired someone else out of the local paper to finish the job and do the punchout...i had held $1200 out of his draw for finals/punchout....i got the job finished for $400.....i kept the rest for aggrivation and delays he caused me....he told me he was going to sue me if I dont pay him the rest of the money....I told him I would see him court then....been 3 months and I havent heard a word from him since!
    Anyway, this should tell you what kind of backbone your builder has, and who's interest he is looking out for!

Paul,

When I had my pole barn put up, I used a regular roofer. This guy came with 2 additonal guys and they laid 17 square of 3 tabs in something like 4 1/2 hours. They started at the bottom and ran 2 columns of shingles side by side from bottom to top. Then they moved over and wove the next two columns in, and so on until they had moved from one end of the roof to the other. The roof has been there 2 years now, with no leaking and no blow offs.

I've never seen shingles laid like that, I've always run a row left to right and back again. The kid said it's faster this way and easier to line up the shingles. Maybe it is, but I don't want to try it without somebody showing me how first. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Steve

Paul,

That's a real gut rencher!! By all means, give your contractor the opportunity to correct this problem. If your not satisfied with his response, find your own roofer to correct it. Make sure you keep an open line of communication with your contractor so this (your relationship) doesn't get ugly or the rest of the construction may suffer.

Is it me, or does that ridge have a swayback?
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<font color="blue">I've never seen shingles laid like that, I've always run a row left to right and back again </font color>
    I lay them like you stonehart but every pro I've ever seen runs two or three across then goes up and leaves a sawtooth edge on one side. I think doing it that way you wind up moving around the roof a lot less since you can lay like 6 shingles without really moving you body much.