Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something weird with the roof......

Re: Something weird with the roof......

<font color="red"> Is it me, or does that ridge have a swayback?
    </font color>

No thats just the light. It does look that way in some pictures, but that part is Aok. We sent a picture of to our contact at the builder, but I have not heard anything back yet. We met with the forman, but I don't want to confront him yet, till I got all my facts. Hears hoping it all comes out OK [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Paul Bradway

Paul, My sincerest appologies sir. and to your Bother in-law.. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] I had a serious brain fart... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I confused you and another poster. I thought you had come back and said your bother inlaw did the job... Again, my appologies I was wrong about that.

What everyone is telling you is correct. Give him a chance to fix the problem, but don't pay him for the roofing job. I was a punch out man for yrs as well as had a commercial and residential repair service for a while and a lot of my jobs was fixing other people messess.

I would take pictures as you have and also contact the MFG customer service and see what they have to say. They might not even warranty your roof because of the way they were laid. That in itself you protect you "IF" this were to go to court.. no judge is going to make you pay for a roof of that caliber when the Mfg refuses to warranty it because of improper installation.

I wish you well and a final time my appologies for the confussion on my part earlier

Here is another strange section of roof. This is on the front center of the roof.

Paul Bradway

Ok, last roof picture (promise!) This is the left front roof area.

We talked to the "site foreman" and he said they lay the shingles as they come out of the package...... Roof looks fine.

Paul Bradway

<font color="blue"> "they lay the shingles as they come out of the package...... Roof looks fine" </font color>

Well, I don't doubt for a moment that they laid them just as they came out of the package. That's the problem! You need to make some cuts to stagger your seams on any shingles I've ever laid.

I have to disagree with his assessment that the "Roof looks fine" however.

If it were me, I'd do a couple of things. I'd get a package of the shingles and read the instructions for laying them so I could discuss the problem intelligently with my GC. Buy a piece of 4' x 8' plywood and lay them out yourself following the instruction if you need to in order to fully understand the process and the right way to do it and the results. If you're not handy, pay a good roofer to do it for you and watch him.

I'd also contact the warranty rep for the shingle company and have him out to ask his opinion. I doubt he'll agree that the "Roof looks fine" so then you'll have the ammunition you need to go back to your GC and demand satisfaction.

Good luck with this situation. I don't think it's going to get better before it gets worse but I hope for your sake I'm wrong. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Something doesn't look right about the valleys. It appears there's a straight line down the center of the valley.

Two different styles. The one you're showing is a woven valley and the one on Paul's is a cut-in. The weave looks much nicer IMHO and is a little harder to lay out. I think Paul's guys had a hard enough time on the straight runs [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I've done both woven and cut in, but don't believe I ever saw anyone use both methods on the same building. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Since your first post, I've been paying attention to the houses I see that have architectural shingles and comparing them to your pictures.
    Beside the apparent fact that the shingles are mis-laid with the tab gaps lining up, something else bothers me. I don't see the variation in texture/color that architectural shingles are supposed to have.
    The photos on the shingle manufacturer's web-sites: Owens Corning and Certainteed are pretty much the way the houses I see look. I don't know if it's the sun angle in your pictures or what, but I don't see the texture/color variations that are supposed to be there.
    I second the suggestion about getting the manufacturer's waranty rep out to look.

Exactly what I'm thinking, it looks like there's 3-tab shingles mixed in the lot. Proper procedures call for standard 3-tabs on ridges so there was probably some delivered. Architectural shingles are actually easier to lay than standard since they hide mistakes better. One MAJOR difference, they are 40" long and designed to stagger in 1/4s instead of 1/3s like with 36" 3-tabs. Even if that was done wrong you couldn't come up with a look like that.