Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer Questions

Re: Trailer Questions

Fellers, ya'll feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that original add was a Reese hitch ad using an Oldsmobile Toronado, 455 cu. in. engine, that was introduced in 1966, while the Citation was not introduced until 1979, and it, too, was once used in some ads for one of the hitch manufacturers.

Bird:

The 66 Tornado was the first front wheel drive production car built by the big three of the time.

Egon

Rob:
    Chyrsler introduced unibody in the early sixties. These cars could be split and welded together and were.

Egon

We had a 1966 Toronado when I was a kid. In fact, it was the car I learned to drive in. What a car! My dad was good friends with the dealer and we got to see it before it's official debut. The dealer had it across the street, in a garage, underneath a car cover. Dad was an Olds man and he bought it on the spot.

This was in the days when new car debuts were a big deal. It was forest green. Loved the rolling drum speedometer. Doors were huge and heavy.

It was also one of the first cars (I think) that had flow through ventilation. Word was that some people saw the dash vents and assumed the car had air conditioning. Ours didn't. There used to be a drag car that had a 455 in the trunk as well as the one up front. Sigh. Those were the days.

Bird
    I really don't think it was that early. And I remember it being a car add rather than a hitch ad. Although it could have been. I would like to see it again though.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

You may be right, Gary. I didn't get into RVing until the summer of '71 and the only thing I'm really sure of is that I saw an ad with the Olds Toronado and travel trailer with the rear wheels off the car.

Well it doesn't really matter, but I would say the the rear wheels weren' carrying any load!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Bird,

You're right on the money on the models in the ads. The 66 model Toronado was introduced in the fall of 1965 and the 80 model Citation was introduced very, very early in 1979 (around March or April, I believe).

Trailer are now a days very user friendly to operate . In old days you just can control them but now a days its very easy to get the fixed & unfixed, you need to be pretty sure about the load you will try to put on. Else very good advice given regarding trailer above