Thread: Trailer brakes

Trailer brakes

Any feelings one way or the other in regards to electric or surge brakes for tandem axle utility trailers? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Trailer brakes

Dear MB: I have more miles in front of trailer than most folks have driving, and I have to say that EXCEPT FOR RENTALS, electric brakes are definitely the way to go. If you don't try to get the super-smart-thinks-for-you control units and use the regular driver-adjusted type, you can easily adjust for loaded/unloaded trailer and make the tow vehicle stop slightly better with the trailer than it does by iteslf. Surge braking is OK, but it does depend on the tow vehicle brakes and when you try to back up a driveway, you're screwed unless the lock-out on the coupling works. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I agree with CJDave. Surge brakes are for rentals to folks who have no brake controller on their tow vehicle, and for boat trailers that are going to be backed into water. Naturally, they can be used otherwise and are better than no brakes at all, but they're a relatively poor second choice.

There is a very good chance that surge brakes will become an item of the past. They may even be restricte to specified weight limits now.

Egon

I went with electric brakes...

Utility trailer? - Go electric. Period. End of Sentence.

Surge have some benefits, but some MAJOR drawbacks. Electric aren't perfect, but I think a lot of people get unnecessarily intimidated by them for some unknown reason (maybe that whole "controller" thing is "scary" or something... [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] )

For the average boat trailer - yes, surge is fine, but for a utility trailer? I'd NEVER have surge on a "real" trailer like that. (BTW, yes, I own trailers with both types so I have a bit of practical experience with putting my money where my mouth is on this one.)

Here's a link to a similar question posted a while back on TBN if you want some more detail.

Hope this helps.

I've had both and the electric is a lot kinder on the vehicles brakes and can start activating with less braking activity on the part of the tow vehicle, very important when going down a hill under load.

Yep. Surge + Hills = not good.