Thread: Replacing a roof

Replacing a roof

I'm going to replace a roof on an older home, 170+ yrs, and need to do a complete tear off and also replace much of the sheathing. Several people have recommended OSB for the sheathing. My experience with OSB is old and unfavorable. I'm wondering if the material has improved, or if I should stick with 15/32 CDX.

Anyone use and like OSB?

Re: Replacing a roof

The roof decking and subfloor on my house under construction is Advantech http://www.huberwood.com/products/ds....cfm?doc_id=23

Supposed to be a good product. Both the roof deck and subfloor are T&G.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Anyone use and like OSB?

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I see in construction going on, it appears to me that the majority of the "professionals" in the business use and like OSB. And for me personally . . ., you couldn't give me the stuff. I'd stay with the CDX. And of course that's my personal opinion and I suspect I'm in the minority again. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Andy,

I'd base my decision on roof pitch. OSB is fine for a steep roof. I sheathed my garage with 5/8" OSB 5 years ago and it still looks good.

Just thought of something else - on your 170 year old house, what is the distance between trusses? This may dictate your choice of sheathing also.

&gt;&gt; what is the distance between trusses?

The roof pitch is 6/12. There aren't any trusses. The roof is timberframed with ~24", sometimes more - rarely less, between timbers and then it is decked with 1X6 and 1X8 with spaces between them. I'm assuming that this deck was used with cedar shingles so that the cedar could breathe properly. I'm planning to keep the 1X in place and deck over it with the OSB or CDX to provide a solid surface for the shingles. Alternatively, I may just do the tear off and go with a metal roof.

If you're going to keep the 1x's and they're in good condition, then my opinion is that OSB would be fine.

If the inital capital investment is not a problem, a metal roof is tough to beat.

Paul

With the span of the support I would use 5/8 cdx. The Advanteck is an even better solution.

If your rafters are saging, make sure you sister new 2 bys to them to give yourself a flat foundation for your decking. It is a real bummer to put all that time and money into a roof that rolls up and down.

The best thing you can say about OSB is that its cheap. Unfortunately, it isn't very strong, and bad things happens when it gets wet (yes, I know there is exterior grade OSB - I fell for that once too [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ).

Contractors seem to like it. Most contractors would build your house with 1x4 stud walls if they could get away with it.
    Ever notice how many houses with brick venear don't even have sheathing these days? Thats because contractors find it cheaper to throw on a layer of styrofoam and call it energy efficient. All that creaking and groaning you hear when the wind blows? The contractor can't hear it from his house. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I'd go with CDX: 1/2 inch works 24" OC if you use clips, otherwise go with 5/8". If the roof ever leaks, you'll be glad you didn't use OSB.

Also, since we are on the topic, the warranty on most shingles is void if you don't install them over a layer of tarpaper to protect against resins leaching from the wood. . Most contractors/roofers don't install tarpaper and will give you a dozen reasons why - the most entertaining is that you don't have to. The real reason is that it costs less not to.

A good 6' layer of ice &amp; water shield is good insurance, too.

And don't

I also

I would consider OSB for sheathing walls