Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More on trailer lights

Re: More on trailer lights

I just have the 7 -pin blade (RV style) on my Silverado that came from the factory. I've bought 2 adapters. One to go from the 7 pin to a 6-pin round for a horse trailer that I borrowed to move and that takes my 7 pin blade to the 4-flat for my little 2 wheel trailer. They were cheap, easy to use, and doesn't require me to have to play mix and match. I believe they were about $8 bucks each at either Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone. The setup has worked fine for everything that I've encountered and best of all I didn't have to touch the factory wiring. The Silverado came with a wiring harness that just plugged in. Ironically I couldn't find anywhere to mount the brake controller w/o drilling holes in the dash - didn't want to do that. What I did was snaked the controller wire up to where the ashtray on the Silverado is and attached one of 4 flat connectors to it. Attached the other end to my Tekonsha controller. When I want to pull a trailer with brakes, remove the ash tray plug the controller into the wire that stays in the dash and wedge it in so that it is level and it will stay there until I unhook it and replace the ash tray. I've thought about permanently mounting now that the truck is older (its a '99) but I don't pull trailers to often right now - maybe when I get my tractor that'll be another consideration. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jim

Re: More on trailer lights

Try an RV place. I have seen 7-wire setups with an auxillary 4-wire built in.

My Dodge came all set up with full 7-wire. Just added the brake controller to finish it off. My old Ford, I bought the 7-wire plug with brackets from Kragen/Checker auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by margaret View Post
    where did you buy adapters? and aside from that where can i find the trailer lights and trailer wiring harness?

-2008 Mazda Trailer Wiring Harness
    -2007 Suburban 3LT
    -2007 Haulmark Enclosed Car hauler
    -2001 Pewter Z/28
    -2000 NBM Camaro
    -1998 Mazda Mizer Exhaust & Emissions
    Like I said in the post either Advance Auto Parts or Autozone, but O'Reilly's also carries them. So does Wal-mart, Menards, Tractor Supply, and Rural King. You can also buy trailer lights & wiring at any of those places.