Thread: Wheel bearing adjustment

Wheel bearing adjustment

I just repacked the wheel bearings on my 1989 4X4 Suburban. I adjusted them according to the manual, which is to torque the inner nut to 50 ft lbs, then back off and torque to 35 ft lbs. I torqued the outer nut to 150 ft lbs. I can feel a tiny amount of play, is that right, or should I not feel any play? I've done this many times before on vehicles, but it's been a while and I just don't remember if there should be any play or if it should feel tight.

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment

With regular tapered inner and outer wheel bearings the procedure is pretty much the same regardless of the application, and while you don't want them too tight there shouldn't be any detectable "play" once the bearings are torqued. Did you have the rotor or hub spinning when you torqued the inner nut? I ask this because if the bearings are running the nut will pull up much tighter than if the bearings are static. Generally most techs tighten them to just snug, then back of just a tad. I know, I know, it's not very scientific, or factory approved, but like most things once you get the feel for it...

I'd recheck your seating torque with the hubs turning and see if that makes any difference.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Wheel bearing adjustment

Gregg - "Did you have the rotor or hub spinning when you torqued the inner nut?"

Yes. I'll give a few days to work in and then snug it up a bit. Thanks!