The old farm house on our property has "always" had a very wet basement. Eventually we're figuring on getting professional help in - it's going to be challenge. (The walls are glazed terracotta block - not stone or cement block). Even now (well after the snow melt and early spring rains) there is usually damp if not downright wet spots on the floor here and there along the wall.

Anyway - in the meantime I'd like to help dry out the area and be able to store things up off of the floor without getting instant mildew or rust. Has anyone ever used a "room" dehumidifier in such an extreme environment? (Example - put down some mouse traps a few weeks ago using peanut butter as bait. The peanut butter is now a big blob of mold! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ).

Can "dehumidifying" be too much of a good thing? The floor joists and all have been exposed to this kind of damp atmosphere for decades. If I actually do dry the area significantly with a dehumidifier - anything I should be watching for in the wood or elswhere to go wrong as it may dry?

Tim