Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wet Basement - Dehumidifiers?

Re: Wet Basement - Dehumidifiers?

Same problem in our house. It's over a hundred years old with a stone foundation. We have a veritable river running down there as long as the temps are above freezing.

I don't like the idea of sealing from the inside. This means that water is allowed to infiltrate the foundation walls right up to the interior surface. I'm thinking that the water would then want to flow vertically through the wall, weakening it further. Also, freezing and thawing would be a problem.

The ultimate for our situation (besides having gutters in good condition) would be to dig around the walls right down to the foundation. Seal the exterior with something (there's quite an array of products to choose from); backfill with a little gravel; lay down drain tile; landscape cloth on top; more gravel; and finally backfill. There are several additions (front porch, rear deck, and lean-to) that would have to removed to accomplish this. I don't have the resources (read cash) for this type of fix right now.

My plan, as I've seen down in many farm houses in the area, is to control the water that does get in. I'll be chipping a small trench in the floor around the foundation walls eventually leading to the sump pit. Having a thinner, deeper channel of water would seem to evaporate less readily than having it spread out in a thin layer across the whole floor.

I've seen basement "gutters" used with sumps and sump pumps to good effect. There are even commercial moldings that can be used. For now for us doing something like that - along with a strong dehumidifier may be all that's practical. I'd look into renting some type of diamond/wet power saw to cut the groove. Has to be something out there well suited for this type of cut.

Of course I'm not even sure if some of the water isn't coming up straight through the floor via various cracks - and not just from the walls or wall/floor joint.

Tim

What's your soil like? Last time I was down that way, I remember a lot of clay and rock.

Steve

Still is!

Actually I've never been down very deep on this property yet. The top soil is really pretty good - reasonably rich and not too much clay. But I've only been down about 12"-18" here and there. But just a few hundred yards to the south (and down slope) my inlaws place seems to be mostly shale under 6" of top soil. We've dug post holes by just busting up the shale with an iron pole and using a shop vac to suck up the fine fragments. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm just wondering if soil type could have something to do with the dampness. If the shale bed is close to the floor of the basement, and has an underground slope that runs toward the house, water could be following along it seeking a way out. Are there any springs down slope?

Its important to remember that the slope at grade is only part of the story. There are also slopes underground caused by changes in soil type, denisity, etc. The shale would be such a change. I saw a diagram once that showed how even digging into a hillside and backfilling can affect the underground slopes. The backfill is always looser than the original material, which results in a slope. Water will follow the path of least resistance.

The outside waterproofing is probably going to be the only thing that will do you any good. You might look around to see if you can find a contractor to do it, that way you maybe can get a guarantee. Some places specialize in such repairs.

Steve

Good questions. Don't know of any springs or other evidence of subsurface aquifer flow anywhere nearby - there is a pond 50-60 yards off (downslope) but that's pretty obviously just surface fed (and drains away from the house). But it wouldn't surprise me that (given the amount of water) there is some hydraulic pressure there around the foundation more than can be accounted for by surface sources.

That would be my bet. You may also just have a high water table. It may naturally be just a few inches below the basement floor and any added rain or spring melt raises it.

Steve

Need help to get rid of a mold problem in the basement

Hi all,
    I am living in a house for 10 years. I have never faced mold problem in my basement until now. However, last week I have found my wall in damp condition. It is covering with mold. My friend suggests me to use dehumidifier and polystyrene-backed paper. Is there any other suggestion then I really want to hear from you?