Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to dry out the garden

Re: How to dry out the garden

Well of course you're right,a tiller behind a tractor breaks sod better than a walk behind,I never said it didn't.The thing I was making fun of was the size of his garden that he uses that tractor tiller on,its 10 yds by 10 yds,but like I said if you got it you might as well use it.Now my garden is about 150 ft. by 150 ft,and for years I have tilled it with nothing more than that 8 hp. troybilt.I'm not really bragging its that I haven't got a tiller for my tractor yet,I just got the tractor last fall,but I'll have one for next spring,you can bet on that,because I know that tractor tiller is easier and quicker.I plant winter rye every fall as a cover in the garden,and by spring,it is sod,probably worse than some lawns.It takes me many hours to get it ready for planting,Igot to go over it 4 or five times,but get it I do,we can and freeze.But if I just had a 10 yd. by 10 yd,or even 20 yd. by 20 yd. garden I don't think I would spend 1,300 on another tiller,right now,maybe if I was older and weaker I wouldn't fell that way,I'm only 47,by the time I get to 65 or so,I might start to wear down a little.I did mention my neighbor uses his tractor post hole diger to plant flowers with,didn't I? Don't get your self worked into the ground now. RICHARD GAUTHIER

"150 ft. by 150 ft"

That's a BIG garden! If I had you for a neighbor I wouldn't need a garden since I'm sure you have lots of surplus! With 2 young kids and other activities, I barely have time for my small garden. You must keep pretty busy.

Believe it or not we manage to eat most of it,we don't buy any potatoes from about august through march,we can a lot of stuff,we got sweetcorn on the cob in the freezer right now,along with other stuff that is better frozen,make our own kraut and pickeled corn,jams and jellys etc. We still have popcorn that I grew about 2 years ago.I work about half the year constution type generally,if I can get it tilled and than till the weeds out, the rest is woman work,if I had to do it all by myself there wouldn't be any garden. RICHARD GAUTHIER

I just bought the tractor mounted tiller this year, and it is fantastic. I couldn't afford a new one, bought used yanmar tiller. The troybuilt tiller works great too in the garden, but not in sod. I plan to till and reseed part of my yard also. My dirt is soft and wet now, but by mid july it will be like cement.

Yeah,I here that.My question now is what size tiller do I get? I got a chinese nortrac,pretty good tractor so far and plenty of power,254 4 w.d.,the back width is about 56",but most of these tillers offset,or so I gather,so I might not want to get a 60" wide tiller,for h.p.reasons? I'll figure it out before I buy,but any related suggestions would be apprieciated. RICHARD GAUTHIER

I bought a 50" Kuhn tiller last fall and am real happy with it. I do my garden in beds - a 4' wide garden bed and 4' sod strip - so the tiller is the perfect size for me.

I use it with both a Kubota B7200 (14 PTO hp) and Kubota B8200 (18 PTO hp?) and even in unbroken sod both tractors do just fine.

I believe I could handle a tiller that is as wide as the back of my tractor,5 ft. would cover it,but most of these tillers offset I think,about a ft. or so,which would make it cover up the tire trac on one side which would work but still not be as good as having both tracs covered,the horse power is about 25,which if you look at some running requirements,is in the middle,of a 4 ft. one and a 5 ft. one,I'll ask this on the chinese tractors owners web page and before I buy I'll know. RICHARD GAUTHIER

My tractor is a Yanmar 180D, 18 engine horsepower. My tiller is a yanmar 1202, approx, 4 ft. tilling width. In the garden I can sink it all the way down, no problem. The little bit that I have tried it on sod, It will cut full depth but the tractor works pretty hard. Have to use the foot throtle to keep the engine speed up over 2000 rpm. After my ground dries up I will probably need several passes to get full depth.

Never having had a tiller for the back of my little tractor, let me ask you guys that do this every year. How much of a kidney buster is it to till with the tractor? Lots ofvibration, or not really that bad?

Steve

Almost none at all in soft dirt or gardens that have been tilled. Really hard ground like the baked clay in the summer in Texas that has not been tilled before can sometimes even make the tiller bounce up and down a bit.