Thread: How I made a sandbox cover

How I made a sandbox cover

I build the kids a 6'X8' sandbox a few years ago. I tried just covering it with a tarp for a long time, but water would collect in the low spots and the cats found a way under it. So, I tried a cover made of OSB, but it was too heavy for the kids to take on and off and water still collected in the middle where it sagged.

So, I came up with this. I built a frame out of PVC pipe, using 1' dia for the outer edges and 1/2" for the cross sections. See attachment.

Re: How I made a sandbox cover

Then, I covered it with a tarp by just attaching it with clothsline. Here's an upside down view.

Here it is on the sandbox. It's held on with bungy cords and is very light and easy for the kids to get on and off. The water runs right off and the 1" PVC around the edge is stiff enough to keep the cats from getting it. The PVC pipe, T's, crosses and elbows cost about $16 and the tarp was about $8.

Pretty slick Danny [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I made Norm's sandbox for our kids several years ago. Then I made a cover but it was waaaay too bulky (seriously over-engineered). All we really wanted was to keep neighbor cats out so I dumped the clumsy cover and replaced it with a piece of vinyl lattice cut to fit. Not sure where I picked the idea up but it works great. Cats don't want to walk on the lattice, it's light enough for the kids to move, let's air and sun in to keep the sand fresh and best of all, it was cheap. I do like your cover though and it looks like it should work out well [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Pretty darn clever! Did you have much trouble getting the PVC to curve like that? I know it's flexible, but I've never tried a curved project like this.

Steve

Steve - It curved real easy. I used 1/2" pipe where it needed to curve. I basically just glued the 1" to 1/2" T's at a slight angle, then put the 1/2" in and let it bow up naturally.