Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZTR mowers, why the high $$

ZTR mowers, why the high $$

I've had one eye on a new mower for a year or two and there are a few really good looking ZTR's out there. But what I'm not understanding is why are the retail prices so much more that a good lawn tractor?
    Ok there's a mower deck that's is very similar, there's a engine, purhaps a bit bigger, and a chasis, maybe a little beefed-up. But to double or tripple the price of a lawn tractor??? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Is it just supply vs demand? Everyone is coming out with one now. Husqvarna has a residental grade and a comercial grade. Just a little heavier guage metal, same engine.

Seems to me there are a lot less moving parts on a ZTR that a lawn tractor. No front steering assembly at all. Virtually the same rear drive wheels/tires.

I personally like the ZTR, because at 6'3" not too many lawn tractors give me any knee room and the ZTR's are infinite leg room [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

thanks
    gary

Re: ZTR mowers, why the high $$

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Virtually the same rear drive wheels/tires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think that's part of the price difference. There are virtually two separate rear drives. On a ZTR each rear wheel is driven independently. One can be driven in reverse while the other is driven forward so they need separate hydraulic drive motors.

I hope the price comes down too so when it's time to replace my riding mower in a couple of years I'll be able to aford a ZTR.

I have also thought they are way overpriced, which is why I have a CUT (compact utility tractor) instead of a ZTR.

I believe there are a few reasons these ZTR's are expensive:

1) quality. 50 hours a week piles on a lot of hours!
    2) complexity. twin hydro drives as stated and heavy duty everything.
    3) demand. while commercial walk behind sales have slowed the sales of ZTR riders have continued to grow.

You could buy a low end ZTR for the home (save some $$) and it will last 20 years. Buy a high end ZTR and it will outlast your home and your grandchildren!

They cut 3 times the speed of an ordinary lawnmower. I have a 72" mmm on my b7800 and it won't even come close to cutting like my zd21 with a 60" deck. No comparison.

zed

Been eyeballin' them this week. It takes me 2.5 hours on my Kubota B7500 with a 60" MMM and the dealer said the ZTR would cut that to just over an hour.
    I was looking a Dixions (they invented the ZTR) and they fully expect their ZTRs to last 20 year with only routine maintenance.

Hmmmmm. Just thinking....
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

As I was walking through Sam's the other day, I half noticed a ZTR-looking thing beside a standard lawn tractor. I think the price on it was maybe $2300. Didn't pay much attention. I bet the low end clones are coming to the ZTR world too.

Chuck

They are worth almost every penny.

The machines are certainly far more efficient than anything you can do with a lawn/garden tractor.

However, I do prefer the commercial Hydro mowers with a sulke attached. At least while I am young enough to stand for an hour or two. Especially for a good number of pennies less.

I have three commercial mowers. A 93 model, 96 model, and 99 model, all three mowers spent the first five years of there life 40 hours a week on a lawn crew. The 93 still works fine. They all have been well serviced and maintained. But that is why they are commercial mowers. They last.

Personally I am content with TORO, as well as Gravely. Lesco's machines are not as nice but I had one for three years before retiring it. It was a good machine.

I concur with what all have said re. pricing/quality...

I got a ZTR this spring.
    It's amazing how much more efficient it is than a tractor.
    It cut my mow time in at least 1/2 and if I didn't have so many trees it would be even less.

theboman - how much do you mow?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It's amazing how much more efficient it is than a tractor

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, with my little bit of mowing, buying the Toro ZTR bordered on insanity, but it's sure quick and fun. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Guess I better find more neighbors' yards to mow.