Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sound like the choke??

Re: Sound like the choke??

Actually, I intended to fix the lawn mower Sunday, but it was too dark in the barn to mess with it. So, I'm kinda hoping the grass doesn't grow. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Steve

Well ... an update .... thought the problem had gone away ... but ...
    Wife took it back and they disconnected a vacuum line to the air cleaner and suggested we try it for awhile and see if that did anything different ... I tried it out ... it was just as bad ... so I reconnected the line and it seemed to behave properly again.
    Well ... until I went to pick up a load of sawdust (horse bedding). Stopped to fill the tank and a mile later it started acting up. Coincidence? Don't believe in coincidence, as a rule.
    Made it another mile ... and then it would NOT keep running. Started ok but the slightest pressure on the accelerator would stall it. OK ... time to get some value out of that AAA card.
    Got it towed back to the shop and told them I wasn't too happy after paying $1200+ to have it working properly again.
    To cut the story short ... this time when they redid the analysis that I'd paid $80 for the FIRST time ... it indicated a bad carb. Upshot ... eince it was already in the shop and many miles away from home ... I spend ANOTHER $660 to have a carb put on and had it retuned (again).
    Hopefully it'll now be a good girl again for awhile ... else there'll be a new truck in the drive ... wife's regard for "daddy's truck" becoming irrelevant!

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

It sounds like the ignition module is shot. Ford's " Blue Grommet" module is famous for acting exactly like a fuel pump going out. Look at the module where the wires enter, you order the thing by the color of the grommet that seals the wires. I think the're pretty cheap these days, it would be worth hanging one just to see if the problem goes away.

I too have had the box go out on a Ford. Driving down the road at 55 and it would just quit running. No popping, banging or anything else. It would just quit like the key had been shut off. Pull over, hit the starter and it would fire up and run like the fuel filter was plugged. Give it gas, it would stall. Then all at once it would run fine again and maybe go fifty miles or more before is started acting up again.

Steve

wonderful .... had that module replaced a couple of years ago ... but sounds like a good diagnosis .... so I let the gougers bite me for another $660 bucks when it really was another DIY and DIQuickly task .... sigh
    thanks guys!

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't