Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: best mileage - tailgate up or down?

Re: best mileage - tailgate up or down?

Now that you jogged my memory, I actually remember Cabot Rea on WCMH4 talking to this guy and driving this car but was it clear back in '85 I was thinking early to mid 90s but I could be wrong there. He was very proud of it - as he should have been. If I'm remembering correctly he was in negotiations with Caterpiller at the time to sale the design. I also remember hearing that the guy was murdered and then Cat backed on the deal because his wife couldn't explain it. Now I admit this might sound like I'm pulling your leg but I do remember the news stories.
    Maybe there is something to the conspriracy theory. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Don't be picking on Linus, history has shown him to be right and one of the great minds of our time. Pauling received his Ph.D. (summa cum laude) in chemistry, with minors in physics and mathematics. To say he knew nothing about nutrition is absurd. His 1954 Nobel Prize was awarded for his work on genetic influences in relation to the atomic structure of proteins in hemoglobin. He discovered that sickle cell anemia is caused by genetic defect.
    With publications about the structure of proteins; the structure of antibodies and the nature of serological reactions; the structure and properties of hemoglobin and related substances; abnormal hemoglobin molecules in relation to the hereditary hemolytic anemias; the molecular theory of general anesthesia.

His writings about the virtues of vitiamin C are today attributed to savings 1000's and 1000's of lives.

Al-Wa, Sorry you were offended that I used your hero in a negative example. Nothing I said was intended to detract from this geniuses contribution to the race. He and Albert Einstein are both heroes of mine.

Linus was not a nutritionist. Of course there are multiple sides to the vitamin C issue but I think you'll find the AMA not in favor of his overdose recommendations. I hope you aren't referring to vitamin C overdosing as his contributiion that "saved" thousands. If you choose to accept on faith anything that any expert says in any field even though he is operating outside his area of demonstrated expertise, you may. Excellence in his areas of expertise was outstanding as was the case of Albert Einstein. Einstein would not be my choice of a model for family values and or husbandly devotion.

While I'm at it allow me to say that Linus Pauling was substandard in his prospects as relates to professional basketball, power lifting, hocky, (most olympic sports) and was not unusually tallented on the banjo or the flugel horn.

It was the very high esteem in which I hold Pauling that led me to use him in an example. Maybe you like Dr. Spock of baby book fame better as an example of someone out of his area of expertise.

It is not unusual that someone famous for some things will carry an aura of respect even when they are away from their area of expertise. It is a human failing to accord this belief in someone where it is not appropriate. Celebrity endorsements are of this genre. They cary weight with non-critical thinkers, beyond reason.

Again, I'm not detracting from Paulings many important contributions. I'll just have to disagree with you about his nutritionist expertise and take a position more in line with mainstream medicine. Oh, by the way. I take a fair amount of vitamin C every day, in tablet form, just not MEGA DOSES that "true believers" take.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

To stay "On Topic" a tail gate 1/2 down is also 1/2 up.

Pat, You are correct Linus is one of my hero's, along with Tesla. First, Pauling was a man of my time and I admired him for his stand against above ground nuculear testing. I recall the government sponsored films showing children playing in nuclear ash with the message "safe as snow"
    Quote from the Link below:
    "Despite unrelenting governmental oppression, Pauling remained undaunted and continued his crusade by writing a draft resolution for a nuclear test ban treaty. He sent letters and copies of his resolution to both President Kennedy and Premier Khrushchev. The two superpowers agreed on a limited test ban treaty, one that was strikingly similar to Pauling’s. The treaty went into effect on October 10, 1963, the very day it was announced that Pauling was to receive his second Nobel Prize."

<font color="blue"> I hope you aren't referring to vitamin C overdosing as his contributiion that "saved" thousands. </font color>
    Yep,
    At the time of his writing on the virtues of vitamin C the government guidelines for vitamin C consumption were 60 mg. So overdosing would have been anything which exceed that value. Subsequent studies have shown the benefit of more than 10 times that level (massive overdose)on heart disease.

If you admire Pauling then for your reading enjoyment I offer the following article from "Life Extension Magazine"

Vindication For Linus Pauling

Al_Wa, After saving millions and millions of dollars and lives through catalyzing the test ban treaty, I won't quible over his perhaps overzealous vitamin C advocacy.

Doses medically prescribed and supervised in specific situations are hardly vindication for encouraging the masses to megadose themselves. Still, we are only debating the shade of grey, not whether something is black or white. Some like one lump, some two, and some drink their tea straight, that doesn't make two out of three of them wrong.

Tesla, OH YEAH BABY! I wish he wasn't quite so obscure and that neo Teslans didn't try to make him into a mystic guru. MOre fact would be good.

I made my first Tesla coil when in the 9th grade. Heated and unwound horizontal flyback transformers out of junk TV's with about 54 gauge wire to get materials for the secondary.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"