Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sources for replacement engine ?

sources for replacement engine ?

Hey all,

Well, I guess I have tried to haul a bit too much up and down the mountain in my 97 Ford 4x4 Explorer. What I thought was a lifter noise turns out to be bearing slap [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] . The vehicle is now parked while I drive my old jeep and research my options. It seems that few shops are prepared to tackle a rebuild these days, so the universally recommended alternative seems to be to get a rebuilt or low milage used engine and swap it out. Any suggestions as to sources and how best to proceed would be appreciated. (I'm in coastal SC, so sources from GA, SC or northern FLA would be best)

Re: sources for replacement engine ?

Jasper Engines
    Has an "Installer Locator" for your state or zip code.
    Jasper supplies some of the best remanufactured engines, IMO

In most cases it is cheaper to buy an engine, than to pay for the teardown and rebuild. It takes labor, and labor is $$$.

Try Ford for a long block. Sometimes the factories are competitive.

Or, just drive the old Jeep. Old Jeep's are MUCH more fun [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

While a rebuild might seem like the most expedient and economical way to go, it just isn't so these days. By the time you add up the cost of the required parts, and the machine work involved, even a "low budget" rebuild will cost about the same as a complete remanufactured engine. In fact that's the most important distinction - the difference between rebuilt and remanufactured.
    A rebuilt is your same old engine with some new parts (usually the major wearing components) and some hopefully competent machine work in sufficient quantity to make those new parts work as well as they are designed to, assembled by a mechanic who's last engine rebuild may have been quite some time ago. As far as warranty, you'll probably be able to convince the rebuilder to give you a year, providing the machine shop will cooperate if there's a problem - most don't (its a matter of "you machined it wrong" vs. "you assembled it wrong"), and you have to bring the vehicle back to him for warranty service - kinda inconvenient if you happen to be out of town. You can expect a rebuild to take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks to do from start to finish.
    With a remanufactured unit from a reputable source you get an engine that is in most cases better than the one you started with. ALL components are tested and qualified, ALL components are either new, or reconditioned to better than new specifications. Because of the economies of scale major remanufacturers can do more machine work to a unit, at better quality, and less cost, than a small shop - think CNC mills....! Chronic problems inherent in the original production unit are frequently engineered out. Units are test run before shipping, and the warranty reflects the quality of the unit. Last time I checked Jasper warranteed their standard replacement, and even their mild performance engines for 5 years and 50,000 miles - parts AND labor (paid at a rate most shops find acceptable - an important factor), and the warranty can be serviced by any shop dealing with Jasper, and even some who don't. For your vehicle I suspect your mechanic could have a Jasper at his door ready to install within 48 hours.

I have used Jasper for years for both engines and transmissions, and have been very happy with every unit I installed. Even on the rare ocassion when there was some minor problem Jasper was a pleasure to deal with, and paid promptly. I even had a customer doing a competitive restoration on a '56 BelAire convertable send an engine to Jasper - they made sure all the correct components stayed together right down to the correct valve cover retaining screws.

Long story short - Go with the Jasper. If you want to shop pricing a bit I'd also check Ford's remanufactured units, but quality wise the Jasper is better.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Carolina Machine Engines in Johnston SC is a very good rebuilder, and you aren't paying for a Trashcar Sponsership when you buy your engine. JOhn

True about the sponsorship, but is the quality the same? And can you get the warranty serviced nationwide?

Not to knock smaller more local shops (I've used them myself) but be sure you compare apples to apples in terms of quality and service, and then compare the prices.

You might be suprised...

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

I'm not familiar with the your particular vehicle but if you have a rod or main bearing noise -
    In the past I have pulled the pan and measured the crank and if the damage is not too severe just put new bearings back in and driven the thing. What's the worst that can happen? You have nothing to lose if you can pull the pan and take a look.
    In the few times I've done this only once did it not work.

I had a 250 Chevy done by my regional shop, havent had a bit of problem with it. One thing I've learned about product warrenties: They always have a caveat to wiggle out of honoring the warrenty claim.

Engine Rebuild

I have had good luck with these folks. $2280 for the DFM3 delivered(1994 explorer).

Thx to all for suggestions, caveats and leads. I found a suitable used engine from a low milage rollover....13k verifiable miles....$16k, plus $750 to install. I delivered the vehicle to the shop this morning after checking references and such.

Sabi