Thread: Window Tint

Window Tint

Has anyone put window tint in their car?
    I bought a "static cling" variety from WalMart the other day. The brand was Axius. The optical quality is terrible. I wanted the static cling type because a friend told me that the regular type that uses a glue will take the defrost lines off the rear window when the film is removed.
    Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Rich

Re: Window Tint

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Has anyone put window tint in their car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never have and never will. The factory tinted glass is good, but the aftermarket add on tints that I've seen were poor optical quality, as you said, in some cases dark enough to be illegal, and can be a job to remove. I once bought a used pickup that had some and it took me all day to get it and the glue all off and the glass clean.

While the static cling stuff usually comes off pretty clean, it depends on how long it has been there. When I bought my current car, the former owner had used a static cling decal across the top of the windshield. While the plastic came right off, some of the color did not.

Steve

you will not have optical problems with GOOD quality tint. i used to use sunguard, they are the best and worth the money. if you take your time installing it, taking it out is a piece of cake. usually about 15 minutes and its all out, and with new glue left behind! plus sungaurd won't turn purple after time.

or you can have your window chemically altered, tinted, for a huge sum of money if you like the way it looks.

I agree with Kokopelli, the better grades of adhesive film have good clarity and will fade clear as time goes by. I currently have a metalized Madico film (not a chrome look, the metalization helps increase heat rejection) and like it real well. I have removed film from a rear window with a defroster, took me more than 15 minutes, but I'm not a pro. Don't scrap it, peel the film off and use Simple Green and gently scrub with a scotch brite type steel wool to remove the adhesive. Not steel wool but the flat synthetic pads that come in white, green or red.

Others wouldn't have tint, me, I wouldn't be without it.

Gary

Make sure the level of tint you put on is legal in your and other states. Some of the walmart/kmart "tint kits" are to dark and not legal in ohio. Sold here, just not legal to use

Any aftermarket item that is stuck to either the windshield, driver side front, or passenger side front window is illegal here. It must be factory tint (in the glass) for it to be legal.

I had beautifully tinted windows on my old Ford Ranger - done for me by the dealer before I picked it up. Two weeks later I was pulled over and given a 48 hour ticket to have it removed.