Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bootleg Raw Milk

Re: Bootleg Raw Milk

>> It is ironic that I can buy drugs on any streetcorner in America and the government can't stop it, but they sure stopped people from getting raw milk. I am old enough and competent enough to decide for myself whether the farmer's product merits my business.

Many of the laws regulating the sale of raw milk date from the turn of the century when contaminated milk was one of the leading causes of death for children. They may not be as necessary today because of improvements in sanitation, but they made a lot of sense at the time and saved many lives.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to buy raw milk and my wife has talked with several local dairy farmers about doing it, but I would not want to do it in a totally unregulated environment.

I agree that regulation would be nice, especially if we could get the organic interests to do it. The problem we face is that the USDA is in bed with the large agribusiness interests who don't want to be able to offer unprocessed milk. It has a shorter shelf life and would also eliminate a resource for cream. They also like knowing that sloppy collection methods can be dealt with during pasteurization.

The people who would buy raw milk will also insist that it be hormone free, so there goes another agribiz profit center and you can bet the drug makers will fight for their interests.

At the most fundamental level, we need state governments to empower local producers to serve their communities. There is no more powerful regulation than having to face your neighbors with your product and having the market place judge it. It also builds a relationship between consumer and producer that has been severed and needs repair.

There's a huge floor fight going on between the US and the European Union because a lot of the EU member countries make cheese from raw milk and the US won't let them import it. And apparently there's an underground movement of cheese producers here in the US that insist on raw milk.

I've eaten raw milk cheese, and it's mighty tasty. Haven't come down with TB yet... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thought I would update the group on our RAW MILK transport system. We have over 50 families in the area who take turns visiting a farm that sells clean raw milk "for pet consumption". My "pets" have sure complemented the taste and texture of the raw milk.

It is amazing how quickly this group has coalesced around a common cause that the USDA would fight against "on behalf of the ignorant public".

So far I have discovered a medical technologist, a writer, a microbiologist and a doctoral degree in the group. Not exactly the dumbest bunch on the planet.

What they seem to have in common is a high interest in their own health, a willingness to do the homework to know what they are talking about and the courage to stand up to the agribusiness propaganda they hear from their friends.

This is more fun than I have had in years.

Sure hope it's full milk your getting for the pets. It's a treat for sure.

Sometimes wonder how we ever managed to develop without pastueized product.

Egon

When I was in grade school my mom bought milk from a local farm at $0.50 per gallon. Shake a quart or two in a jar and you got butter. The only ill effects must have been mental, I did OK physically.

In these parts there is a dairy brand (famous for their ice cream) named Brahm's. I confess that I drink skim milk and in the past for years I used Milk Man brand powdered milk (0.5% butterfat). Now I know most folks think poorly of skim milk and think it pretty much has zero taste universily irrespective of source. Well, lt me set you straight! Brahm's non-fat milk is delicious and can easily be distinguished from any other brand I have had.

I'm not comparing skim to REAL but within the universe of skim milk, Brahm's is head and shoulders above the rest in taste. All it is missing is most of the butterfat. Now, the calories I save with skim milk can be invested in other items, a trade-off that is to my personal liking but I am NOT trying to convert others or claim any error in their actions.

Having grown up on "pet food" milk (only we didn't have to make an end run around the law and liability back then) and survived I can't say too much negative about folks who opt for REAL milk. One thing... Be careful...disease can be transmitted through raw milk and the first warning is when you have the symptoms and that is a bit late.

Any raw egg eaters (driinkers?) out there? What about those two folks Sam and Ella?

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    bought milk from a local farm at $0.50 per gallon

[/ QUOTE ]

And we sold just a little bit; had our own cow (two sometimes), but used most of it ourselves.

Shake a quart or two in a jar and you got butter

[/ QUOTE ]

We generally used a genuine store bought churn. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] However, when I first started school, I carried my lunch, including a pint jar of milk. No refrigerator, or ice box, at the school to keep it in, so sometimes in warm weather, it would be soured by lunchtime. When that happened, I shook the jar walking home that afternoon and had a small pat of butter when I got home. My mother still laughs about me doing that.

dairy brand (famous for their ice cream) named Brahm's

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh . ., spelled "Braum's" I believe and I love their ice cream, especially the old fashioned banana split. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brahm's non-fat milk is delicious

[/ QUOTE ]

Not having tried it, I can't dispute that, but if I eat their ice cream and banana splits, you don't think I'm gonna drink blue john, do you, no matter who took the cream out. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I used to get to turn the cream seperator, turn the butterchurn at home or move the paddle up and down at Grandmaw's and turn the icecream maker. Even got to milk the cow's and squirt milk at the cats.

Egon

BIrd, Sorry about the spelling, I searched my memory banks and of course you are right. I guess I was always a lot more interested in what was under the sign than on it, likewise the contents of the containers versus the labels. They make one heck of a good burger too. Their ice cream is tastably better than the other chain stores like 32 flavors etc. I am impressed that they own ALLL the means of procuction except the sunlight that grows the pastures. They own and milk their own dairy herd. But alas, they don't sell raw milk.

I realize skim holds no attracton for you but butterfat has a strong attracton for my middle so as I have to suffer to drink skim, I can tell you who has the best. It isn't that their flavor is just different, it is SUPERIOR. Not sure if the same holds true for their regulalr milk.

Can we still be friends even though I pour hog feed over my morning cereal?

Pat
    Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

butterfat has a strong attracton for my middle

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that what my problem is? I knew something bad was happening. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

And the history of Braum's is rather interesting; a real success story, and a bit unusual I guess for a company that large to do it all instead of using "subcontractors".