Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner questions (In over my head?)

Re: Beginner questions (In over my head?)

You may get somone to put it in hay but I would beware of the person who would agree to do it for only year or two and no expense from you. Time, equipment, fuel, seed, lime and fertilizer for one years crop. You definitely would be coming out on the long end of that stick if you got a good stand.

I did'nt answer your question and just added something negative, must be my day, sorry. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] After the grass goes to seed and turns brown bushog it. The mulch created and the seed underneath will grow this fall if the weather will cooperate. This will inprove the pasture if lucky and no harm if it doesn't. This will also keep the weeds from seedin theirselves. Bushhog again later on and things will improve. This attachment is the most important on a pasture that has grass. The corn field keep it under control until someon can get to it this fall. Good luck and keep us posted.

Patrick

Patrick

Patrick

Re: Beginner questions (In over my head?)

As far as getting someone to hay it its possible but may be a function of how clean the fields are. If you have a lot of brush or rocks most will probably pass. That stuff is hard on equipment and most would not risk it for marginal hay on a small pasture.

If it was me I would rent a tractor from your local dealer for a weekend. Maybe a couple different ones just to get an idea of what you want and works well for you. A bush hog and a tractor for a weekend or two would clean it up nicely.

A good dealer should walk you through how to use it. Probably give you a demonstration of what to do and more importantly what not to do. They often have used ones on the lot that they are willing to let go for short periods of time. May requre a week at a time though.

This way you get it cleaned up and an opportunity to try tractors for next years purchase.

Also get a soil test. The test is free in Arknasas since its paid for by a fert tax. Maybe free or low cost for you as well.

Fred