Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner questions (In over my head?)

Beginner questions (In over my head?)

Well, now that we've started moving in, I've had to start dealing with the property. Besides the lawn, I have about 3 acres of pasture, and about 14 acres that was in corn last year.
    To deal with the lawn (about 3/4 ac, very complicated), I got a small (25 horse, 48" deck) lawn tractor. I have also been able to cut some of the pasture to clear the fence lines near the house, but the rest is well beyond what this machine can do - its about 10"-15" tall in places. Between fences, brush, and the house my schedule is very full right now.
    Next year we hope to aquire a tractor large enough to deal with the pastures and back 14, and bring some sheep onto the property (if not this summer).
    So my questions are these:
    Given my limited equipment and time, can I simply leave the pastures untended this year?
    Would there be any merit to renting a tractor and deck mower (or hiring the same) to knock it down so that I can maintain it with the equipment I have?
    If I let it all grow over the summer is there any value to the grass? Should I "harvest" it (I assume a sicklebar mower would cut it all then it could be gathered)? Would this be worth saving for the sheep we hope to get next year?
    If I get lucky and get fences cleared/repaired in the next month can I introduce sheep into these pastures in this condition - or should they be mowed first? If so should they be mowed or "harvested"?

I know this is a lot of questions, and I suspect some are basic knowledge, but I'm reading and learning as fast as I can!!
    Any input is greatly appreciaited, as always.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Re: Beginner questions (In over my head?)

Why not get aquainted with one of your new neighbors who has the ability to mow it and ask him what he thinks. He might appreciate you asking him and offer to mow it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Argee [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I had a similar situation when we bought our 77 acres. One of the delights of rural life is the willingness of people to help. I asked my neighbor who I should hire to brush hog the fields since I don't own a tractor. He volunteered to loan me his tractor if I wanted to do the job or help me find someone to do it. I jumped at the chance to learn Tractor 101 and it was a lot of fun. Be careful near the ditches because the **** things will turn over.

Give some thought to the animals coming in next. You could plant a perennial grass or clover, but what you have already standing may be sufficient.

I really enjoyed reading Joel Salatin's "Salad Bar Beef".
    See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

Getting a soil test for $10.00 from the county Ag people is helpful, but ignore much of what they tell you. All they understand is big agribusiness.

Also, the ATTRA site has some excellent material on soil development. See http://attra.ncat.org/soils.html

Since I started with no background in farming I am amazed at how much quality information is available from the sustainable agriculture groups. Looks like small farmers may rise from the ashes.

Good luck.

Administrator

Hi Gregg,

Congratulations on moving to your place. You'll find a lot of friendly folks here who have travelled the same trail. The best advice, which I will repeat, is to be friendly with your neighbors, who will be of the most help to advise you on tactics, costs and techniques for your land. Any farmer in the area can and will help, but be aware that his (and her) time will be dictated by the needs of their farm operations and time of year.

<font color="blue"> Given my limited equipment and time, can I simply leave the pastures untended this year?
    Would there be any merit to renting a tractor and deck mower (or hiring the same) to knock it down so that I can maintain it with the equipment I have? </font color>

The first year we moved onto our land we had a similar situation. Of our 55 acres, we had around 5 acres right next to the main house, that had been "let go" by the previous owner for probably five years. The "grass" was about 3 feet tall, and young saplings were getting a hold.

I waited until late in the fall, and the grass was almost dried out, and then I cut it with a John Deere 48 inch belly mower. I should have waited until spring, I suppose, or hired someone with a bush hog to take it down. Anyway, I was able from that point on, to keep it nice and trim for several years, using just my heavy duty lawn mower.

<font color="blue">If I let it all grow over the summer is there any value to the grass? Should I "harvest" it (I assume a sicklebar mower would cut it all then it could be gathered)? Would this be worth saving for the sheep we hope to get next year?</font color>

While there may always be a value in hay to someone, the amount you have would probably not be of interest to any farmers in the area. If you had, say, 5 acres or more, you could offer it "on shares" to a local farmer. He would come and cut and bale it at hay time, and leave a "share" of the harvest (maybe 10%) for payment to you. But, as I said, less than an acre probably isn't going to interest a farmer. You could ask though.

Remember that all of the time and equipment needed to tend and harvest crops mounts very high and very fast. Unless you plan to go into commercial farming, it is likely you will be better off paying someone to do much of the work for you that only occurs once a year. Or just buy the hay you'll need for a few animals.

<font color="blue">If I get lucky and get fences cleared/repaired in the next month can I introduce sheep into these pastures in this condition - or should they be mowed first? If so should they be mowed or "harvested"? </font color>

Sheep (and lambs) will eat down any standing grass. But, you need to be aware that lambs are not too diet conscious. They can and will overeat and bloat themselves. They need shepherding. That's where you come in. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You will need to calculate how much land you'll need for how many sheep. It is more than you think --- around a acre for every two sheep.

So, you'll have to see how much additional feed and hay you'll need for the sheep when they arrive. Locate and join your local sheep growers group or club. There will be a lot of wise and helpful people. Sheep growers are lots of fun to hang out with.

I would advise starting with just a few -- 2 to 3 -- lambs and then see if you want to start breeding the second year. FYI, a sheep is a lamb until it is about a year old, then it is called a 'sheep'. Do not buy any sheep much over a year old for eating. They will be very tough. Generally a lamb about 10-12 months old gives the best yield of meat for eating.

Find the local tractor dealer(s) and ask a bunch a questions there. They will know people to refer you to for all kinds of things. Also, if there is a feed store anywhere near, go in and get to know the folks who work there. They also will be a great source of info.

This is going to be a great time in you and your family's life. Do not worry about being a beginner. Country folks aren't going to hold that against you. We all started somewhere. Sounds like you've got the right attitude.

All the best,
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

I've got a real similar situation here, with 15 acres that started as a corn field 3 years ago. To date, I've mowed enough of it to make a lawn and left the rest alone. It has finally grassed over pretty good, but still has some spots where the soil is weaker.

If you've grassed over completely, you might check with one of your neighbors that hays. They might be willing to come cut and bail it. Even if it's not great for feed, they might want it for bedding.

I don't know much about sheep, but I would imagine you could introduce them without problem. But-- don't be rushed into getting sheep just to keep the grass short in the field. Otherwise, you'll feel like you're playing catch up trying to get barns and fences built, etc. It's better to get all that stuff done first, so you can enjoy the critters when you get them. (That said, I still wind up rushing to get stuff done because the wife has some new critter.)

Steve

It won't hurt a thing to do nothing ,as far as cutting,for a couple of years,than brushog.The corn field is probably mostly weeds,you might have to work the ground up on it and plant what ever kind of forage you want to be there if you are planning on useing it for pasture or hay.Three acreas won't pasture many sheep year round,but you could put a few on it anytime I guess,if you think you really got to have a few sheep. RICHARD GAUTHIER

I'm working hard to develop relationships in the area (I've already been to the local Deere dealer a few times to bend their ears and spend some money), but there are no "local" farms close by. Our property is located in an area of single homes on 3/4 to 1 acre lots - our house and property is the remainder of what was once a sizable farm. The back 14 was corn last year, but due to drought was never harvested, and so far this year none of the corn fields in the area have been turned at all. I'm afraid that whoever was leasing/farming the various plots in the neighborhood is no longer farming, and I have been unsuccessful in locating this person. So the search and the learning continue...
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!

Check the ads in the newspapers and see who is selling hay. Or, if there is a feed store close by, you could check there.

Steve

put a sign out FARM LAND FOR RENT 14 AC or whatever. Try to get someone to plant hay and let them have it for a year or 2 then do it on shares. No tractor expense for you. We do 40 ac of hay on shares and have no expenses except time at at baleing. No large equipment except 2 hay wagons that get used for everything you can imagine form moving buildings to hay rides for friends old and new.

mikell

That's actually a very good idea. You improve your field for free.

Steve